D&D 5E Anyone else just want a straight up Monster Manual II?

ZeshinX

Adventurer
As the title says, I'd love just a simple, straight-forward Monster Manual II. No attached adventures. No over-long, fluffy prose...just a book full of monsters like MM1.

I have no wish to see WotC stop their current means of output, as many enjoy them...but since I don't use published adventures (and certainly won't spend $40+ on them), a new straight-forward monster manual would be remarkably welcome. The Volo and Mordenkainen books are a nifty way to approach new monster books, but honestly, I'd happily live without the fluffy chaff and just have that many more monsters (new and old).

Lots of options on DM's Guild (and a few really excellent ones), sure...but my group does not allow technology at our table (beyond the mechanical pencil or two), so those aren't particularly useful. The POD options are sparse, with the MM Expanded I & II being the only two I'd actually consider getting if/when I can spare the $120+ it would cost me (would be even more expensive for me, since I'm not in the US).

J-H

Hero
I wouldn't buy it. I homebrewed most of my monsters for Castlevania, and I'm doing the same for the next campaign I will run.

With all the 'brew I may not be a good customer. I'll most likely buy XGTE 2, but that's about it. Whatever comes with Psionics and maybe some official fixes to PHB stuff (Ranger, 4E monk, etc. etc.).

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I would use an MM2.
The contents would have to be chosen to avoid 'playable monster races', because those are going to need a variety of stat options plus a discussion on philosophy and world-building. Their entries will look more like Volo's as the new generation of players is given the opportunity to wrap their heads around the different options, and some guidance to create their own.

I could go for NPC stats, animal (especially dinosaur and prehistoric beast) stats. Also some tables for varieties of common beasts: generic horse, war horse, plow horse, race horse, wild horse.

dave2008

Legend
I love monster books, but I am really not looking for a MM2 at this point. I would have like a book of just monsters. However, i would like to be more like the monster section of Theros, Volo's, & MToF: in addition to new monsters, templates for existing monsters, and in depth lore about a monster type .

Absolutely. About half my players also dm so we've collectively been through the MM a couple times already. More fluff isn't going to change how the combats actually play out - I want new stat blocks.

I could homebrew them, but as I'm full-time employed I have money and not a lot of time, so I'd rather pay someone to do it for me.

If it wasn't for D&D beyond I would have been quite annoyed at WotC's insistence on mixing fluff with crunch in every book. I like both but fluff can stay in the bookshelf when I'm not preparing an adventure, while crunch gets carried to the game.

But these days every book can remain at home while I bring my laptop to the game.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I wouldn't mind it - I've picked up some third party books like Fifth Edition Foes, but something more official wouldn't hurt.

Remove ads