Anyone else miss % dice?

Quickbeam

Explorer
Hattersai said:

What do you mean miss them?
I use them all time. Hackmaster, Final Fantasy, Milleniums End etc.

Our group only plays 3e D&D...not many opportunities to use % dice when I'm not the DM, and even then they're limited. Truthfully, this was more of a whimsical post than anything else. Just a bit of nostalgia posted in public :) .

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
You can also increase your percentage useage by including more demons and cevils in your games- they use percentile dice to see if they are able to gate in more buddies using their natural Gate ability. More evil = more mayham.

MythandLore

First Post
Scorch said:
I love the d20 system, and I think it's made the game more universal and adaptable. But, there are times when I just miss rolling those percentage dice to determine the outcome of a particular event. *sighs* Anyone else?

BTW, please don't tell me they're still used for magic item generation, etc. -- I know that. I'm simply saying that there are nights when my % dice sit unused on the table looking every bit as lonely as my d12's.

I don't miss it.
I think the d20 does fine on it's own.
For % we just use the d20 by 5%'s.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Looking for a use for the d30?

It's called Mardaluk's Monstrous Meteor of Mayhem, a wild magic spell in the upcoming Aquerra Player's Guide. . .:D

Quickbeam

Explorer
Alright, fine. I'll create a sorceror who wears armor, then burn a feat so he can fight with the bastard sword -- that should cheer me up :p .

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I've been wondering what to do with all those 'extra' dice...

DnD was always the only game [I had] to use everything but the d30.

It's convenient to have it all packaged down a bit though.

Quickbeam

Explorer
arcady said:
I've been wondering what to do with all those 'extra' dice...

DnD was always the only game [I had] to use everything but the d30.

It's convenient to have it all packaged down a bit though.

This explains why Crystal Caste has changed to polyhedral sets with an extra d10 that doesn't match the other six dice in the set. In this manner the seventh die can be used as a regular d10 (which it is) but can also be used for % rolls because it isn't the same color as the other d10.

Chessex on the other hand, has stuck with % dice in their polyhedral sets -- a good thing because the world is still filled with choice :) .

Remove ads