• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone else think the Bard concept is just silly?

Lanliss

Explorer
FYI: "Redthistle" is the clan name of my favorite gnome PC (Pathfinder game). He's a rogue/sorcerer, but I could add a level of bard just for your nightmares' sake ... ;)

Your comment triggered a memory of a meme making the rounds, might have been back in the 1990s. The idea then was that whatever your notion was of the worst way to die, that would be exactly how you'd meet your end.

Putting a twist on that, imagine if when we died we were to reincarnate as our "least favored" race/class combo.

For me, it would be a catfolk barbarian (Grumpycat Conan?) - just thinking of all that tongue-bathing makes me shudder.

Interesting thought. Mine would be a Halfling Bard and/or Cleric. Bard bores me, cleric doesn't inspire me as a class. also, halfling. bleh.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Interesting thought. Mine would be a Halfling Bard and/or Cleric. Bard bores me, cleric doesn't inspire me as a class. also, halfling. bleh.

If I was reincarnated as my least favourite race/class it would probably be a gnome paladin or warlock. I don't find either class that interesting and gnome is probably at the bottom of my list of preferred races.

Lanliss

Explorer
If I was reincarnated as my least favourite race/class it would probably be a gnome paladin or warlock. I don't find either class that interesting and gnome is probably at the bottom of my list of preferred races.

Funny, Gnomes are my favorite race, and Warlock is my top class for Flavor, second for mechanics. So if I was reincarnated as my favorite race/class, it would be a Gnome Bladelock

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Funny, Gnomes are my favorite race, and Warlock is my top class for Flavor, second for mechanics. So if I was reincarnated as my favorite race/class, it would be a Gnome Bladelock

For my favourite race/class combo it would probably be human wizard, or elf if I can't choose to be reincarnated back into the same race. Every game (PC and tabletop) I play I tend to the go the mage character with only a few exceptions.

thunktanker

First Post
Just for fun, here is a short excerpt from "The Wander," which is in an example of Anglo-Saxon poetic verse and which the historical "bards" would have recited in halls full of warriors to promote courage. The poem laments the loss of brave warriors, both for the speaker as a last wandering survivor of a slaughtered band of warriors but also, perhaps, for society in general. It may suggest a perceived waning of bravery that those listening can only address through their own conduct, such as in battle, and through their faith in God's permanence outlasting the unavoidable impermanence of a warrior's life.

Hwær cwom mearg? Hwær cwom mago? Where is the horse gone? Where the rider?
Hwær cwom maþþumgyfa? Where the giver of treasure?
Hwær cwom symbla gesetu? Where are the seats at the feast?
Hwær sindon seledreamas? Where are the revels in the hall?
Eala beorht bune! Alas for the bright cup!
Eala byrnwiga! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Eala þeodnes þrym! Alas for the splendour of the prince!

eorl mid elne gefremman. a hero must act with courage.

Poem in full here: http://www.anglo-saxons.net/hwaet/?do=get&type=text&id=wdr

In case any bards want to try reciting old english at your next D&D session, the þ characters are not p's. They are a "th" sound.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
IIRC, In Lord of the Rings, Eowyn recites a poem including this line at the funeral for Théoden's son.

The poem you refer to (for which Tolkien borrowed that line from the anglo-saxon poem) is actually recited by Aragorn as he, Gimli, and Legolas are crossing Rohan. In the book, that is.

I think Théoden (partially) recites it in the movie, although it's quite been a while since I've seen it.

thunktanker

First Post
IIRC, In Lord of the Rings, Eowyn recites a poem including this line at the funeral for Théoden's son.

I think Théoden (partially) recites it in the movie, although it's quite been a while since I've seen it.

Yes, Théoden does in the Two Towers movie, right before the Battle of Helm's Deep. Eowyn does sing a lament in the movie in Old English though, just not the one I excerpted above. Her song was influenced by Beowulf, another example of poetic verse Anglo-Saxon bards would have recited to inspire warriors.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
IDK... I think I might rather have an entire group of 8 gnome player characters than a bard? :)

Just kidding.

Suddenly I realize: Worst fear.... Gnome Bard!

Seriously? Gnomes too?

You sure DnD is your game? There is a Warhammer ttrpg, isn't there? Maybe Shadow of The Demon Lord? It's really good dark fantasy.

Do you have nothing but obnoxiously cheesy gaming friends, or something?

I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't grok the mindset you seem to have, literally at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads