D&D 5E Anyone else think the Bard concept is just silly?

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Just to clarify - Real Mean don't dance.

''Oh but but but..''

No.
I know, I know, I was surprised as well, but I used science and well, the results speak for themselves.

Now, if you don't mind, I have some seriously bad ass needlework to attend to.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Just to clarify - Real Mean don't dance.

''Oh but but but..''

No.
I know, I know, I was surprised as well, but I used science and well, the results speak for themselves.

Now, if you don't mind, I have some seriously bad ass needlework to attend to.

One Word....Well maybe two.......John Travolta and yes....a real man... no buffs.,...no illusions

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
I can see how that can be perceived, but I would define it as out of place. Why can a Battle master learn maneuvers, but a champion for some obscure/unknown/mechanical restraint is not allowed to have them as a class feature. It does not make sense in any world, especially a fantasy genre. It is just silly. It makes more sense in D20 modern setting, but then under that assumption casters would be less powerful and rare.
While the Battle Master is learning his maneuvers, the Champion is learning how to find and hit that sweet spot on a creature that does extra damage. If the Champion fighters takes time to learn maneuvers as well, there is a feat. Seems to make sense.

I'd like to point out that if your friends are playing a prancing, lute-playing, bright-clothed, stalking-wearing, over-the-top-joking, whimpy, mood-killing Bard, it is 100% NOT 5e's fault. The portrait that 5e used to visually embody and imply what a Bard is supposed to be like (I.E. the half page picture next to the word BARD in the Class section of the PHB) is really fantastic, and nothing like the old trope, cliche of the past.

The Bard is striding forward casually with their black acoustic bass guitar (Which is really badass with the bridge cover, string guard, bowl body and no sound hole --like a D&D version of Ovation --) slung over their shoulder (the same way the Barbarian and Fighter are holding their weapons).Their clothes are dark coloured, mostly purple and black with a cool cape, rad fingerless gloves, and black boots. The Bards expression looks focused and a little seductive and confident with maybe a hint of a tiny smirk. Plus the Bard is androgynous (WotC staff have debated weather the bard is male/trans/female) with their sexy punk rock dyed white hair (only drow have naturally white hair). I personally get a cool Elf David Bowie rocker vibe from the Bard more interested in deviant sex then slap stick comedy. Even the over the shoulder bag is sleek and cool, the only thing that strikes me as lame is the flute necklace.

The dancing doesn't have to be lame dancing, the player decides it's lame. The singing doesn't have to be dorky songs, the player decides they're dorky. The Bard doesn't have to be a jack-ass the player makes him a jack-ass.

So the next time one of your friends wants to roll up a Bard and he's talking about all the lame crap he's going to do with it and be tropey and cliche. Just talk to him and tell him to leave all his tired old Bard baggage at the door, open up the PHB go to the Class section, point at the portrait under the title BARD and say "Play this Bard. THIS is the 5e bard. If you love me at all, you'll play THIS Bard, please. *kisses*"

ciriquen

First Post
I skipped from page 1 to page 58: TLDR.

Just to say, my bard doesn't sing or dance. He's a professional wrestler, all strength and charisma, with the tavern brawler feat. He can take out pretty much any single opponent by grappling, then restraining, and his expertise in athletics means his opponents tend to stay locked down. His "spells" represent his in-ring awesomeness, and he inspires his friends with promos!

Any class you look at with the intent of ridiculing it will look ridiculous! Clerics, rogues, druids, they're all ridiculous - but it's a fantasy game! Make up a character, pick the most appropriate class, and role play. And if you really don't like bards, don't play one! As far as I know there's no rule requiring a group of players to include any given class...

Dingmamon

First Post
Looking at the description of the ability in the 5th edition book, it says "You can inspire others through stirring words or music." While music is listed, I have seen it more often used in the fashion of that inspiring word a leader gives to a struggling teammate in the middle of an action scene. The music more commonly comes into play during down time where they often describe playing music or singing to pass the time before going to bed.

Looking at it from another viewpoint, in older times, armies would often go into battle with musicians. There is a reason the phrase "Drums of war" exists. On the battlefield instruments could be used to convey tactical information such as "move forward" or "fall back" far more quickly and at greater volume than someone trying to yell over the crowd of soldiers.

So yes, a bard singing a pop song or ballad about themself or the party in combat is silly, but the historical and fictional works that sparked the idea for the bard make a lot of sense in my opinion. Using the beat of a drum, signaling maneuvers through a specific set of notes, an encouraging battle cry or even just the rhythmic tapping of his sword against a shield, all make sense as far as being utilized in combat.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Henry V, Shakespeare: The BARD

Yeah!

Remove ads