• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone else think the Bard concept is just silly?

Brandegoris

First Post
You literally used it to describe someone dancing around. Literally just the idea that "dancing around like a pansy" is a valid way to describe something is, at best, deeply misguided.

Also, I never said that delicate = gay. What are you talking about?

The "singing and dancing around like a pansy" statement means that you are saying that dancing and singing, ie artistic performance, is a thing "pansies" do. Clarifying that you just meant "delicate" doesn't actually make it more respectable thing to say.

The idea that singing and dancing is for delicate people is best described by words that are hard to use to describe an idea without someone thinking you're also describing the person who said it, and thus a bit close to breaking the rules. It is...not a smart or well thought out notion. At best. At worst, it's an insult to anyone who does those things. Especially people who both do those things and do "tough" things like fight competitively.

Especially when it's said alongside a bunch of statements over the course of the thread that you can't take such people seriously as heroes in a fiction game.

"Deeply Misguided"?
LOLOL
Careful dude, Don't get all worked up.
I know you want to make this bigger than it is and purposely misconstrue my intent so that you can make a big issue out of all the Imaginary people here that I am offending, But you could also just relax?
No? Didn't think so.

Singing and dancing in combat is lame. Super lame. That's what I was saying. I apologize to all the artists I have offended. By all means sing and dance and perform your slam Poetry during combat in as flamboyant a manner as possible.

I apologize profusely. Are we square now? I have apologized for uttering the word. Can we all move past it now that you have subjugated me to your will?

Hussar

Legend
Ignoring the singing bit for a second, I don't think I'd tell this guy that dancing in combat is silly:

[video]https://youtu.be/R-pkMJHCoxM[/video]

While certainly more monk than bard, there's no reason that it can't be applied.

Last edited:

Warpiglet

Adventurer
"Deeply Misguided"?
LOLOL
Careful dude, Don't get all worked up.
I know you want to make this bigger than it is and purposely misconstrue my intent so that you can make a big issue out of all the Imaginary people here that I am offending, But you could also just relax?
No? Didn't think so.

Singing and dancing in combat is lame. Super lame. That's what I was saying. I apologize to all the artists I have offended. By all means sing and dance and perform your slam Poetry during combat in as flamboyant a manner as possible.

I apologize profusely. Are we square now? I have apologized for uttering the word. Can we all move past it now that you have subjugated me to your will?
God I hope the craven stupid things I have done in game don't reflect on my manhood! I have begged, lied, cowered, run away and other great things. Come one everyone OP included! It's a game let's not get too mean!

I don't like bards with stringed instruments and neither does anyone in my group. But I would play with a musicAl bard as a fellow pc!

It's just taste everyone! I play a single blade blade pact warlock ffs! We are all in the same team!

Not sure why all of this seems funny!

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
It's a matter of perspective, but I would consider the 5E bard to be one of the worst from among the past four editions. It's probably tied with the 3E bard, which was bad for different reasons. The 2E bard was pretty much perfect, though.

The 2E Bard disappointed me. They could wear chainmail, but could not cast spells in it. I thought their spell selection was wrong, should have been druidic spells because Bard's were a druidic order, and the thief skills they ha access too were the worst. I kinda liked the 1E Bard better. But you are correct it is a matter of perspective in what you want out of the bard.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ignoring the singing bit for a second, I don't think I'd tell this guy that dancing in combat is silly:

[video]https://youtu.be/R-pkMJHCoxM[/video]

While certainly more monk than bard, there's no reason that it can't be applied.

That would actually be a cool bard to play LOL And capoeria circles usually include drummers and other instrumentalists playing.

pemerton

Legend
My last, long-term PC was a Paladin with some bard in him (that is, a 4e multiclass). I still miss dear old Sir Yatagan Fracas, Knight of the Order of Treasure, Paladin of the Dragon Within, and Keeper of the Codpiece God (it was a very small god in a box he kept in his pants).
I don't think I want to know any more about the theology of Sir Yatagan's religious order . . . in fact I think I already know too much!

When your a bard, you're a bard all the way
From your very first song till the turn you decay
When your a bard, let'em do what they can
You've got allies around, You're a party member man
You're never alone, you're never disconnected
You're home with your own
when monsters are expected, you're well protected
Then you are set with a capital 'B'
Which you'll never forget till your spirit is free
When you're a Bard, You stay a Bard

When you're a Bard, You're the top guy in town
You're the gold-heavy kid with the diamond filled crown
When you're a Bard, you just can't be beat
Little minion, you're a normal, little normal, you're elite
The Bard are in gear, our songs are really singin
The monsters will soon; feel the awful stinging
Here come the Bards, like a bat out of hell
someone rolls initiative, someone won't get to live
Here come the Bards, little world better save
better take the withdraw action, better run; go away
we're drawin' the line, so keep your noses hidden
we're hanging a sign, says "evil is forbidden"
and we ain't kiddin',
Here come the Bards, and our weapons are lungin'
every last buggin' monster on the whole buggin' dugeon
on the whole buggin', ever lovin' dungeon

Uchawi

First Post
overly mundane?
I can see how that can be perceived, but I would define it as out of place. Why can a Battle master learn maneuvers, but a champion for some obscure/unknown/mechanical restraint is not allowed to have them as a class feature. It does not make sense in any world, especially a fantasy genre. It is just silly. It makes more sense in D20 modern setting, but then under that assumption casters would be less powerful and rare.

Remove ads