• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone ever play 1E Dragonlance?

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
okay first off. THere will be no griping about the supposedly railroaded 1E DL modules.

Now, I have never played 1E, let alone 1E DL. SO, for anyone who has played it, did you like ti, and do you think it captured the DL feel well? Is it true that Gnomes had their own Tinker class?

Last edited:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Galeros said:
Now, I have never played 1E, let alone 1E DL. SO, for anyone who has played it, did you like ti, and do you think it captured the DL feel well?

Indeed it does! Of course, 1e Dragonlance (in the form of the original DL modules) was around prior to the Dragonlance novels. ;)

I've mostly played 2e Dragonlance, but with a lot of 1e mixed in, and it was incredibly fun.

Is it true that Gnomes had their own Tinker class?

Dragonlance Adventures had the tinker class, though it's a bit cumbersome.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Sargon the Kassadian said:
I've been looking for good invention rules for quite some time....I suppose it's on ebay, or free somewhere? :D

You might be able to get the old DLA from RPGNow or one of those sites that sells downloads of older material.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I bought an old copy of 1e Dragonlance last year for cheap. It was definitly a used copy buy I didn't buy it to collect it, I bought it to use it.

And I think it captured the feeling real well. 3.5 could do it just as easily I would think.

And yes the invention rules were cool. My tinker gnomes stuff never worked that well. I thought a sheath the sprung your sword into hand would be a great seller.

Sundragon2012

First Post
I DMed all 12 modules (there were 2 that were non-adventure modules), back in my late teens/early 20s. They were great. I had read the novels and changed some minor things....like having Verminaard (the Red Dragon Highlord) being fiend possessed and having the characters face the fiend after defeating him. But for the most part, I ran the modules as is. The books were great to give you a feel for the characters like Tanis, Laurana, Raistlin, etc. My players forced me to include the folks in the novels and fell in love with my portrayal of them. The death of Flint the dwarf really messed them up.

My players still remember fondly the halcyon days of Dragonlance. One of my players put off joining the army for a year so he could finish the campaign. Ahh....such loyalty. I don't play DL anymore because I run homebrew but feel that DL is was an example of what D&D could be once folks got the hell out of the dungeon and became heroes in the classic sense. Back in the 80s, when DL first hit the scene it was unique in that there was a real story to the adventures.

Viva la heroic adventure. :)

Chris

Napftor

Explorer
One of my first D&D memories is playing DL14--I survived! Our group also played DL9 several times and I also recall playing in DL10. Can't say whether or not the group played through the whole thing but I imagine so.

In any case, these modules cemented my love for Dragonlance. If you can find a group to play the originals, I highly recommend it.

diaglo

Adventurer
Galeros said:
Now, I have never played 1E, let alone 1E DL. SO, for anyone who has played it, did you like ti, and do you think it captured the DL feel well? Is it true that Gnomes had their own Tinker class?
i refereed it.

it took a lot of work. a whole lot of work. mostly due to the railroading... er... nonkilling of NPCs and the wandering band of draconians forcing the party in one direction only.

it captured the novels.

the Tinker class and such came later. when they decided to make the hardback.

DL5 wasn't a module. it was a background reference for the referee. and DL11 was a board game instead of a module too.

devilbat

First Post
We played many of the modules, and I didn't think much of them, for reasons we're not allowed to discuss. I do agree that they fit the Dragonlance style. That being said, I would be very interested in playing a 3.5 edition campaign some day.

Remove ads