Anyone know of any simple mass combat rules for d20?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
As my players have gone up in levels their responsibilities have increased. They'll have a bunch of small unit battles to fight, a few hundred troops per side.

ANyone know any system that may be good for this and that can slot into d20 without too much work?

thanks in advance,
Glen

(edited for spelling)

Stalker0

Legend
I'm not too familiar to mass combat systems. However, for a very quick way to model this, use the mob templates from the DMG II.

If you want, adjust the damage and hitpoints of the mob based on how good their weapons on, their training, their morale, etc.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Thanks, Stalker0.

I've considered the mob template. It would certainly be easy. But 2 of the PCs have invested a fair amount of character development (role play and skill points/feats/etc) into being military commander types. They're really keen to have something a bit more to get their teeth into.

I had a browse on Paizo yesterday but nothing jumped out at me. I was trying to find the old D&D module "Black Shield, Red Arrow" as it had a simple mass combat system but IIRC it was more suited to campaign play rather than skirmishes.

Ghostwind

First Post
Oathound: Arena (Bastion Press) had a fairly good mass combat system in it that was designed by Darrin Drader (Whisperfoot on these forums).

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I've had a look at the preview of Cry Havoc here on Enworld. Looks pretty much what I want.

Thanks guys. (now, is there a pdf version available or will I have to wait for physical shipping.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wrote this a while back, and it's still lying round on my computer. It's not exactly mass combat (moving units around), but more to do with PC actions during a large battle or war while the battle takes place around them, and how the battle progresses due to their presence/actions.

Attachments

• warfare.doc
    55 KB · Views: 94

Remove ads