• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone know when D20 Modern/Future Might Be Out?

Loonook

First Post
Cool! Then you can keep using those sources, and those of us hoping for a 4e style modern can get it from WoTC.

Yes... and with the GSL in place you get to skip over nice things like...

- The entire Blood & * series (I don't think the publishers will change over unless there is a major amount of backing considering the current Modern20 support would probably be questionable due to restrictions)
- Waiting for WotC to put out a book every epoch for materials... then producing things like d20 Past: Redux.
- The crossover appeal of such a wondrous setting like Urban Arcana...

To be honest, cosmologically PoL works a bit better with an image of Modern fantasy than Urban Arcana. The Shadowfell and Feywild, with a little adjustment (having better names/more 'in world' names for Modern) make them close enough to a lot of Modern homebrew (my own included) that I wouldn't object.

However, the WotC-published d20 Modern is probably the purest form of WotC-style d20 to come by my eyes. Yes, it has quirks, and yes, it can be a system which is just too... limiting to people, but honestly? I don't find it too limiting that a game which had so little 1st party support received some really great 2nd (Game Mechanics) & 3rd party (forum support from some pretty solid thinkers like RangerWickett and his Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth alongside others). I've run games from the Dark Ages to the Weird West to the Far Future, each with their own style and flair which is aided by the lack of class-binding inherent in a D&D (3.X or 4e).

A lot of the very complaints that a lot of the 4e fans have are resolved in Modern; yes, there are some great skills or talents in each class, but you don't have whiny players complaining "oh, my character who wants to be harder to damage isn't Tough!". The generic nature of the system and the sandbox implied by a lack of real 1st party settings (besides the horror show which was Urban Arcana) make it amazing.

I really would love to see WotC use 4e as a superheroic take on Modern; using it in a M&M-killer system would be amazing. However, it really isn't in the style which most of the those who enjoy Modern enjoy. There are of course those who embrace 4e in the Modern community; however, there are also those who are weary of exactly what Wizards will do with a refitting of the system considering the track record of the books previously presented.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Loonook

First Post
Got some stats on that?

Everyone whom I have discussed the prospect with, combined with the fact that the community has developed its own system(s) to deal with the issue of non-support from WotC?

Nope. Obviously someone is pulling the wool over someone's eyes. There is a huge market for WotC d20 Modern material; that's why I picked up those 15 Cores for 3 bucks each and hand them out at sessions as a lark :p

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Scribble

First Post
Everyone whom I have discussed the prospect with, combined with the fact that the community has developed its own system(s) to deal with the issue of non-support from WotC?

Nope. Obviously someone is pulling the wool over someone's eyes. There is a huge market for WotC d20 Modern material; that's why I picked up those 15 Cores for 3 bucks each and hand them out at sessions as a lark :p

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Shrug?

I play modern, and would like to see a lot of the concepts 4e added to the system, in a modern redux.

If we see a 4e style modern I'd say WoTC at least feels there are more of me then there are of you. (or at least enough mes to make an acceptable profit)

I don't have any stats either, so we'd have to wait and see.

Loonook

First Post
Shrug?

I play modern, and would like to see a lot of the concepts 4e added to the system, in a modern redux.

If we see a 4e style modern I'd say WoTC at least feels there are more of me then there are of you. (or at least enough mes to make an acceptable profit)

I don't have any stats either, so we'd have to wait and see.

Yay... destruction of the property in the name of profit. Please let us have Dragonborn bikers riding about...

Though I must say, Detroit in and of itself would make an excellent PoL campaign.

Fighting tiefling strikers in Greektown using his EPIC DESTINY,

-Loonook.

Scribble

First Post
Yay... destruction of the property in the name of profit. Please let us have Dragonborn bikers riding about...

Though I must say, Detroit in and of itself would make an excellent PoL campaign.

Fighting tiefling strikers in Greektown using his EPIC DESTINY,

-Loonook.

Yay... assuming because you like something everyone else should. RPGs are not nessesities. There is nothing forcing someone to buy them. If they're making a profit it's because people like them. This isn't deconstructing anything- it's making it into something people want.

Also if you don't want it, no one is forcing you to use it.

Loonook

First Post
Yay... assuming because you like something everyone else should. RPGs are not nessesities. There is nothing forcing someone to buy them. If they're making a profit it's because people like them. This isn't deconstructing anything- it's making it into something people want.

Also if you don't want it, no one is forcing you to use it.

Yeah... that's exactly what I'm doing. Not talking to others who think it is a horrid idea, who got sick of no support from WotC, and know that by accepting the same over again we'll get the same thing over again.

If you want to port things from 4e into Modern... be my guest. We all are allowed to bring house rules into a game. However, d20 Modern is a nice system (not without flaws, of course) which really shouldn't be forced into the same style as 4e because people can't restructure their system to make a more modern style. Modern was generic... and there's not many more ways that 4e could be skew away from that generic nature.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Scribble

First Post
Yeah... that's exactly what I'm doing. Not talking to others who think it is a horrid idea, who got sick of no support from WotC, and know that by accepting the same over again we'll get the same thing over again.

So don't buy it. The launch of 4e did not cause my 3e stuff to explode. It still works just fine. I have no reason to think the same will not be true for my modern stuff.

If you want to port things from 4e into Modern... be my guest. We all are allowed to bring house rules into a game.

Or I could hope people who get paid to design games do all that work for me. I would still be able to do small house rules and such, but the brunt of that work woud be done for me.

However, d20 Modern is a nice system (not without flaws, of course) which really shouldn't be forced into the same style as 4e because people can't restructure their system to make a more modern style. Modern was generic... and there's not many more ways that 4e could be skew away from that generic nature.

I'm not asking the designers to come to your house, tear out pages from your books and replace them with new updated rules you have to use. I'm hoping another edition comes out that incorporates some of the ideas they developed in 4e, so that I can purchase that and use it. You don't have to buy it. You have rules you like already.

have at ye.

Loonook

First Post
So don't buy it. The launch of 4e did not cause my 3e stuff to explode. It still works just fine. I have no reason to think the same will not be true for my modern stuff.

Or I could hope people who get paid to design games do all that work for me. I would still be able to do small house rules and such, but the brunt of that work woud be done for me.

I'm not asking the designers to come to your house, tear out pages from your books and replace them with new updated rules you have to use. I'm hoping another edition comes out that incorporates some of the ideas they developed in 4e, so that I can purchase that and use it. You don't have to buy it. You have rules you like already.

have at ye.

Every update of a system moves potential players out of a system. Apologies if I fervently hope that WotC, in their infinite 'wisdom', decides to pass over a property for something rather than create another divisive system which will not have the original intentions in place.

Also, if you need a professional to port 4e concepts to a Modern version... yeah, that's sort of telling of some of the point, isn't it?

Let's just hug this out... you seem to have a nice fit physique... it'll look like Mad Max giving comfort to Blaster ;).

Completely fraternal slainte,

-Loonook.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads