D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone lose their enthusiasm with 3E or purchasing 3E products?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Not me.

I took advantage of the Green Ronin sale.

If AEG was having such a sale on their d20 products, I'd finish off the L5R dual statted books that I missed out on.

And I'll probably get Elder Evils.

For those who ONLY want 4e stuff, look at the latter 3e books with the D&D insider on 'em. They're supposed to be updated to 4e.

GlassJaw

Hero
I've kind of gone in the opposite direction. I was fairly burned out from 3ed about a year or so ago but a few recent events have given me new inspiration:

1. Not liking all the stuff I'm hearing about 4E.
2. Starting to create my own 3.75 ruleset.
3. Lots of variant options starting to pop up.
4. Pathfinder
5. Getting 3ed books on the cheap.

Gundark

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
I think they should have waited maybe 1 - 3 months before they were ready to release 4E before they announced it. Anyone agree/disagree with this?

Wow just think of the fan storm there would have been, it's been bad enough with almost a year's notice.

That said I was thru with 3e long before the annoucement of 4e. I MIGHT of played...but DM? Forget it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Rules Compendium was well worth it. I cannot stress enough how useful that one book has been at our table since we got it. Quick, easy reference to rules, and it answers so many subtle questions left unanswered all these years.

But yes, I have lost some enthusiasm for 3e books. I had Complete Champion on my list for this holiday season, but took it off. I had some of the environmental books on that list as well and removed them, along with Cityscape and Dungeonscape.

It hasn't stemmed my enthusiasm for playing, just for buying, for the moment. Though I am starting to look harder at mini's lately, as those are 4e compatible :)

Doug McCrae

Legend
I'm still buying 3e books, I got Tome of Battle fairly recently and just started a new 3e game. Seven months is a long time.

Also my group may keep playing 3e after 4e comes out, who knows?

Storminator

First Post
I lost enthusiasm for new 3.X books a long time ago. I bought the Spell Compendium, and before that was the first few Eberron books. That's about it for the past couple years.

I did get a huge slew of Mutants and Masterminds books tho.

PS

Pinotage

Explorer
Definitely still buying 3.5e books, both WotC and 3rd party stuff. As long as the players I'm with and the games I'm in remain 3.5e, it's the logical thing to do. At present I have no intention of switching, though that might change once I see what they've actually done with 4e, so sticking with 3.5e makes sense.

Pinotage

RigaMortus2

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Disagree. If they sold a PHBIII (for 3.5E) in March '08 and then released 4E in June, there might have been bloodshed. This way is better.

There is that possibility of course, but I would think (hope) they might stop producing 3E material within that 1 - 3 month period before they drop the 4E bomb. Of course at that point, people would start to get suspecious if they had no products on their website slated for "Next Month".

And I guess it's true, there still are people interested in 3E and won't go 4E, but I doubt WotC will support 3E once 4E hits the shelves, so why delay the inevitable? It's not like they are pumping out 1e and 2e books for those who still play those editions.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
Why buy the newest 3E book, knowing it will be outdated in 7 months? Why would WotC even bother making more 3E books at this point? I think they advertised 4E too soon.

Certainly it stopped. That's why the arguement of 'why didn't you tell us you were working on 4E for the last couple of years?' falls flat on it's face. They knew that sales of 3.5 books would dry up the instant that 4E became an official reality.

A lot of people say that looking at the catalog for the last half of this year was what convinced them that 4E was coming, due to the lack of solid crunch books.

I don't think they advertised it too soon; something like an edition change needs a long lead time for people to get used to the idea and for stores to adjust their orders. Also, can you imagine what the frothing rage would be if they'd continued to sell hard-crunch 3E books until only a month or so was left before they'd be worthless? Much worse than anything you've seen on the boards to date.

Last edited:

Remove ads