D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone lose their enthusiasm with 3E or purchasing 3E products?

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm not buying any new sourcebooks, but since I love adventures, I'm continuing to buy them. I also bought a handful of d20/OGL books on the cheap.

When the announcement of 4E came, I stopped cold.
But then I kept reading more about the edition and I went from excited, to lukewarm ,to very hesitant about converting.
At my group's last gaming session, I asked their thoughts. They don't follow the news/rumors as close as I do, so they hadn't even heard about the Dragonborn, Warlock and most of the other plans for the edition. Before I even got a chance to talk about my concerns, they all started chiming in about not wanting to change to a new system, the cost issue and their general enjoyment of 3.5 e.
So, at least for now we're sticking with 3.5e. My purchasing has kicked back up and I've greatly enjoyed what I've found.
My next big purchase will definitely be Rules Compendium.

So yes, there was a pause, but now I'm back.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm taking great advantage of all the 3.5 surplus sales going on (GR sale, Eberron stuff on ebay/amazon stores, etc). My collection is pretty limited, compared to others, but I am fillnig it out here and there with prices rock-bottom :)

I am just coming off a campaign break and ready to start 2 new campaigns in January. In our group, we easily have $2000 in 3.5 books/materials; so we are not eager to de-value that collection by switching to a new system... some of them already went through that with 3e to 3.5.

Plus, I haven't even Started my "War of the Burning Sky" campaign :D

I am content that I have enough material to play forever, even though I know the time will come when the group majority finally says "I hear x.x Edition is really great, let's move on up!"

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Both my DMs are swearing they'll never upgrade. So, now's a great time to pick up all the sourcebooks that I always wanted but didn't have the money for at the time. Also, I'm picking up dreamblade minis right and left (since the bottom fell out of that market). Rebase them and they make great minis and my players (mostly DMs themselves) have no clue what they are, let alone what their stats are.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Counterspin said:
Umm, none of the D&D books were printed in such small numbers as to disappear from the market in the immediate future. Why buy them now when they'll be dramatically marked down in a few months? They're not going anywhere.

Numbers printed are not very relevant - my local FLGSs have caught on to the idea that stuff sitting on shelves and not moving is bad. Plus, if I wait until markdown, now I'm in a fight to see if I pick them up before all the other sharks.

delericho

Legend
My last 3.x book was "Fortress of the Yuan-ti" (it would have been "Rules Compendium", but the adventure was delayed in getting to my FLGS).

So, yeah, I kind of lost enthusiasm.

Clavis

First Post
It's interesting to hear about people losing enthusiasm for 3.x edition because of the upcoming 4th.

I remember the change from 1st to 2nd Edition, and it was very different. 1st Edition materials continued to be produced and sold well into the 2nd Edition. I started a 1st Edition campaign after 2d Edition was already being produced ('90/'91), and nobody had any problems getting the 1st edition books at all. Remember, this was before E-Bay. I remember seeing older 1st Edition materials being bought up, without discounting, in preference to the new 2nd edition books.

Khairn

First Post
3E from WotC? The only thing I've bought in a year was the Rules Compendium.

But Green Ronin, Goodman, Paizo are another story all together. So many great gaming goodies, that I just couldn't pass up.

pawsplay

Hero
I haven't exactly been "enthusiastic" since about, oh, Races of Destiny. That said, I recently learned Elder Evils has Zargon and the Cinideceans in it, so I'm definitely ganking it.

Remove ads