D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone lose their enthusiasm with 3E or purchasing 3E products?

Greg K

Legend
If I am losing any enthusiasm, it only because I am thinking of switching to True20. Otherwise, I have a list of 3.x products to buy including the following (many of which I wlll still buy for inspiration and reading should I switch), :

Adamant
- d20 Occupations
- Hot Pursuit
- Hot Pursuit on Foot

Chainmail Bikinni/Goodman Games
- Beyond Monks
- Demon Hunter's Handbook

Green Ronin
- Advanced Bestiary
- Book of Fiends
- Cavalier's Handbook
- Noble's Handbook

Malhavoc
- Book of Iron Might
- Book of Roguish Luck

Mongoose
- Quintessential Fighter
- Quintessentiial Monk
- Quintessential Rogue
- Quintessential Sorcerer
- Quintessential Wizard

Second World Simulations
- Masters of Arms

Silverthorne
- Book of Templates

Skirmisher
- Experts 3.5

WOTC
- Monster Manual 2
- Fiend Folio
- Arms and Equipment Guide
- Dragonomicon
- Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss
- Lords of Madness
- Heroes of Horror
- Stormwrack
- Complete Arcane (or Tome of Blood) for the spells

Last edited:

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I am with you 100%-- 3.x has lost its luster to me... and some of what I hear about 4e isn't appealing either. Hopefully 4e when it comes out one make D&D lose its luster for me entirely...

Banshee16

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I know I have...

Why buy the newest 3E book, knowing it will be outdated in 7 months? Why would WotC even bother making more 3E books at this point? I think they advertised 4E too soon.

I think they should have waited maybe 1 - 3 months before they were ready to release 4E before they announced it. Anyone agree/disagree with this?

We just started a new Ravenloft campaign (which I am excited about, don't get me wrong), but previous to this, when 4E was announced, suddenly playing 3E games lost some of its luster. Am I alone in this one?

Anyway, just curious what others think/feel.

(Patiently waiting for 4E :))

I've slowed down some....but I've got a lot of material I haven't had a chance to use yet. And the more I see about 4E, the less I think I'll bother upgrading. Guess I'll see in a few months. But I'm enjoying some of the great sales right now :) Picked up the Thieves World books, and a bunch of other Green Ronin stuff for $2 each.

Banshee

Voadam

Legend
Still excited about getting 3e stuff.

This month I bought:

Complete Guide to Treants
A Dungeon Crawl Classics module
Blackdyrge's Dungeon Denizens
The Verdant World
A bunch of MonkeyGod Modules
A bunch of Liber Sodalitas organization pdfs
Talislanta d20

Two Christmas presents for me came unwrapped or with the contents not hidden on the shipping card, A Grand History of the Forgotten Realms and Monsternomicon II. I'm very happy I got those two.

pawsplay

Hero
Clavis said:
I'm interested in that experience, because it's so different from my own.

At the time of the change from 1st edition to 2nd edition, I was teenager in northeastern NJ, directly across from New York City. D&D was played primarily by metalheads. We didn't game with the Science Club and Drama Club kids who perhaps also gamed, so I don't know what they thought.

I'm wondering about where you were living at the time, what age you where, and, if you were also a teenager, what social scene you identified yourself with.

I was young (I started playing Basic D&D when I was eight, and AD&D a year or two later). I played mostly with older boys in the neighborhood. I was a very quiet kid who basically did not join any kind of club whatsoever. I remember being just a bit older and beginning to make forays into gaming stores when I was about 12. That's when I became aware of the larger hobby. The kids I played with had the blue print books. I remember a few snide comments about "blue print" from older players which meant little to me... the next time I remember it coming up was in college. By then, there was a definite schism between 1st AD&D players versus the "red print" players who embraced Powers & Skills and so forth. The last few times I played AD&D it was actually with the latter.

I am of the generation for whom the term "munchkin" was generated. When D&D was in its heydey in the 80s, we were short and into ninjitsu.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am somehow on both sides of this

So, I agree with this....

Mercule said:
Yup. I lost my excitement about a year ago. Even w/o 4E, I'd be done with 3E after my current campaign ends.

...I wanted to end my 3ed campaign and--without 4ed--do some other d20 stuff.

But, I also took advantage of the GR sale to get a box of books.

Which I am using for my next--not 3.5, probably 4th ed--campaing. It works since what I got are great resources in general.

And, with that purchase, I am done with pre 4th ed d20. At least until 4th ed crashes and burns.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
In response to the original post:

WotC has promised to provide updates for all 3.5 stuff released since the anouncement.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I don't buy d20 or D&D primarily anymore, but I did get two very good books recently.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
Iron Kingdoms' Five Fingers: Ports of Deceit.

Both are good quality books.

Remove ads