D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone play a 3.5 Archer-based Ranger yet?

Azul

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Well, in 3E, halfling rogues were proficient with "Medium" shortswords (ie the default PHB shortsword, 1d6 damage), but not with "halfling greatswords".

-Hyp.

Very true, but the halfling couldn't finesse the shortsword (it was the same size category as him - small). He could only finesse tiny weapons, such as daggers. In 3.5e, halfling rogues have better weapons available to them, if you take weapon finesse into account (since just about every halfling rogue races to get weapon finesse if they ever plan on being useful in melee). Previously, the "default" finessed melee weapon for halfling rogues was the dagger (because it's size was tiny, making it a light weapon for halflings). If you spent a feat, you could be proficient in the kukri and have a better threat range.

Now a halfling rogue has a much larger selection of weapons he can finesse, including all the small light weapons and (most importantly) the small rapier (which at 1d4/18-20/x2/finesse compares very favorably against the 3.0e shortsword 1d6/19-20/x2/no finesse possible for halfling). It is basically as good as a kukri was for a 3.0e halfling rogue, only without needing to spend a feat for an exotic weapon proficiency. Besides, most of a halfling rogues damage comes from sneak attack dice, so the ability to finesse the rapier (and thus connect to deliver those sneak attack dice of damage) makes a huge difference.

If you really want a 1d6 damage weapon, the small heavy mace or small morning star will do nicely (especially the latter, since the dual damage types (bludgeon and piercing) is great for defeating DR in 3.5, which makes up for the weaker threat range).

Darklone

Hmm. We have a gnome barbarian/cleric who previously took an exotic weapon proficiency to wield a dwarven waraxe twohanded, now he got a free feat.

Halfling archer in my group uses a crossbow and Rapid Reload.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
My campaign doesn't start until Friday, but with three (!) archer-rangers in the group, I'm sure to discover soon enough how good/abusive they are. :)

Nail

First Post
You're in for some fun! With so many archers, I can only assume there's no one playing meat shield. That means you can get yer baddies right up in the archer's faces, and take away their advantages.

Make sure the bad guys have high inits and movement rates, and yer good to go.

DrSpunj

Explorer
Nail said:
Of the three, the Elf rules the roost in expected average damage per round against all ACs.

That's too bad. I hate elves.

I'm glad to see you'll enjoy my next character! :D

Incidentally I went with a 14 Str and 18 Dex as well, and I agree that while bumping those is definitely possible, it wasn't worth the trade-off IMO for a well-rounded concept. I'm quite happy with a few more hp and skill points, thank you very much.

I'm anxious to see this guy in action, but not so much that I plan to suicide my current character...at least not right away! :p

DrSpunj

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Nail said:
You're in for some fun! With so many archers, I can only assume there's no one playing meat shield. That means you can get yer baddies right up in the archer's faces, and take away their advantages.

Make sure the bad guys have high inits and movement rates, and yer good to go.

Oh, it gets even better. 3 rangers, a rogue, a fighter, an artificer (homebrew core class) and a psychic warrior.

What do you *not* see in that list?

Yeah. No cleric.

Darklone

Nightchilde-2 said:
Oh, it gets even better. 3 rangers, a rogue, a fighter, an artificer (homebrew core class) and a psychic warrior.

Yeah. No cleric.
Mustn't be bad. I've seen some groups like that in action... they didn't really need a cleric till they could afford a wand of cure light wounds.
Had an archer heavy newbie group once who killed one troll before he closed with the group and hurt another real bad. The NPC militia members had a single casualty.

High initiatives were important.

Nail

First Post
DrSpunj said:
I'm glad to see you'll enjoy my next character! :D
Oo boy.... :D

The thing that really got me in my ranger comparison was that elves are the best archers and they have great skills, AC, saves,.......

What's the down side? Uhm...."You get ta call 'em faeries"? :p

Nail

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:

Yeah. No cleric.

Ouch.

I see poor Will saves in their future, too.......

And against Undead opponents, they'll struggle. Let's hope that artificer has some decent wizard spells.

Remove ads