• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone Play the Gothic Offerings? Question Concerning Character Development

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
I purchased Gothic Universe which contains Gothic 1, 2 +expansion, and 3. I plan on just loading one version at a time.

I know that in Gothic 1 one can play either a Warrior, Mage, or Ranger. My question is, can you combine the skills to make your hero multiclass or is this game designed to basically concentrate on one class?

Though playing a mage character isn't my first choice I really do enjoy having magic ability to support a warrior or a ranger.

Can anyone tell me if a combination is doable or how character development is done?

Thanks.

dvvega

Explorer
Yes I own/have played the games. You don't really choose Warrior/Ranger/Wizard per se. It all depends on which faction you join, the equipment and armour you choose etc.

You can also become a Paladin type character BTW.

So the answer is yes, you can have all the abilities you want ... as long as you get the experience and find a trainer to increase the right stats/skills.

D

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
dvvega, thanks for the reply. I thought my post would be one of those that just fades into the internet void of the unanswered. :D

Just for curiosity sake, what did you choose and how did you like the class? Did you basically stick to one type or did you find yourself building your hero with a mixture of skills?

Thanks again.

dvvega

Explorer
Actually I didn't like the Fire Mages much, too much hassle IMHO.

I stuck with good bow skill followed by good combat skill which you can learn from the Old Camp without a problem.

Hunting is a good skill to be able to procure supplies to use for trade. The game has a zero-sum trading system. You don't buy/sell as such but trade goods. It means that if you don't have goods to trade you don't get anything so hunting is great.

I've been thinking of replaying it and choosing the Paladin route by joining the Crazies.

D

P.S. You made a good purchase BTW ... it won all sorts of awards because of its "sand-box" style gameplay with provocative and strong storyline.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads