Anyone Played Artesia or the Game of Thrones RPG by Green Ronin ?

Brandegoris

First Post
I'm About to play Artesia by Mark Smylie. I played it once long ago and it is a very Rules heavy system but was also a LOT of fun. The characters generated are sooooo complete and the Game world has the richest history of just about any RPG I have ever played. So detailed.
its also fairly low fantasy ( Lots of prophecy though).
Just wondering if anyone else has played it and what their thoughts are

Also Song of Ice and Fire by green Ronin is very cool as well. Anyone else played it. I cannot get a group together to play because I live in a crap little town with a low population.
I think its great!!
Reminds me of the King Arthur Pendragon RPG which is also in my top 5 RPGs! Simply Great game as well!

Any thoughts? Anyone play any of these games before?
Do I seem to be giving them too much credit? or do you also think they are amazing?

DeltaEcho

First Post
Had all three, got rid of Pendragon (disliked)
Still have Artesia and currently reading the Song of Ice and Fire (the system is easy, the background extensive)

Was invited to a SoIaF but the game went south over a year ago, you are at a big disadvantage if you don't know the setting well enough, much worse than a Tolkien setting, (one of the things that puts people off playing)

If you like those games you may like Ars Magica rpg

Also Song of Ice and Fire by green Ronin is very cool as well. Anyone else played it. I cannot get a group together to play because I live in a crap little town with a low population.

Check out the VTT's. Doesn't matter where you live, only your available time compared to everyone else's. I've found if you are willing to GM, then it's pretty easy to find a group online to play most systems.

I use Fantasy Grounds. Roll 20 is also popular. Battlegrounds RPG and Maptools might also interest you. If you want to go the VTT route, decide what's important to you before you decide, people are pretty polarized about their favorite VTT and objective and fair comparisons are almost impossible to come across.

Brandegoris

First Post
Had all three, got rid of Pendragon (disliked)
Still have Artesia and currently reading the Song of Ice and Fire (the system is easy, the background extensive)

Was invited to a SoIaF but the game went south over a year ago, you are at a big disadvantage if you don't know the setting well enough, much worse than a Tolkien setting, (one of the things that puts people off playing)

If you like those games you may like Ars Magica rpg

I looked at ARS Magica a VERY long time ago and remember it seeming very cool and somewhat rules heavy ( a little confusing perhaps). I was much younger when I looked into that though and only had a FEW years of Role plating games under my belt back then though, so Maybe its worth another look.

Off topic a bit, but this Castles and Crusades game? Anyone played it? what's it all about? It just popped into my head for some reason and wondered if anyone had, even though at first glance I Doubt very much that its like the Other 3 games I mentioned above.

Off topic a bit, but this Castles and Crusades game? Anyone played it? what's it all about? It just popped into my head for some reason and wondered if anyone had, even though at first glance I Doubt very much that its like the Other 3 games I mentioned above.

I believe C&C is a spin off of one of the early D&D versions. I've never played it, but their is a fairly large community over on the Fantasy Grounds forums that do. http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?62-Castles-amp-Crusades

GreyLord

Legend
I looked at ARS Magica a VERY long time ago and remember it seeming very cool and somewhat rules heavy ( a little confusing perhaps). I was much younger when I looked into that though and only had a FEW years of Role plating games under my belt back then though, so Maybe its worth another look.

I play it. Originally it was designed by the Chenaults and supported by Gary Gygax (you know, one of the two guys that created the RPG phenomenon and created D&D. He also designed AD&D and a few other RPGs).

It is based off of the D20 system which is the same as D&D3e/3.5 but a lot more simplified. It has a basic stat array like the original B/X and BECMI D&D, and a basic combat system like D20/3e. It's skill system and save system is based on a different system called the Siege system which, in a nutshell, is that you have different chances to succeed based on your stats and skills. You have prime scores which mean you have to roll over a 12 if you are skilled or trained in it, and an 18 if you are not. These are the basic numbers you'll always have to roll over to succeed (in theory you reduce each by 1 for every level you gain but when opposed by others, they add 1 for every level they have...so the scores stay basically the same as you advance and face greater threats).

And that's the system in a nutshell.

It's fast, easy, and light to run. It is a generic fantasy system (though they have their own world called Airde which you can also use for a campaign and multiple adventure modules) which you can adapt for any setting.

I enjoy it, especially if I'm in a D20 type mood but don't want to run something as heavy as Pathfinder, and don't want to deal with some of the restrictions of bonded accuracy or the complications of character creation with backgrounds and other aspects of 5e (in C&C classes are pretty static so it's basically roll your scores, choose a race and class and go, no choosing of skills, backgrounds, or other items unless you want to include those options).

I own A Song of Ice and Fire but I haven't played it. I would like to give it a try but time and a group haven't knocked on my door yet. :p

Regardless, I enjoy Green Ronin's work. Not only their games but also their industry advice. Chris Pramas wrote a piece about breaking into the game industry that mirrored my own journey enough that I wrote a blog about it. That's what's best about Green Ronin, it's not just thought-provoking games, it's thought-provoking everything. ;)

Brandegoris

First Post
I play it. Originally it was designed by the Chenaults and supported by Gary Gygax (you know, one of the two guys that created the RPG phenomenon and created D&D. He also designed AD&D and a few other RPGs).

It is based off of the D20 system which is the same as D&D3e/3.5 but a lot more simplified. It has a basic stat array like the original B/X and BECMI D&D, and a basic combat system like D20/3e. It's skill system and save system is based on a different system called the Siege system which, in a nutshell, is that you have different chances to succeed based on your stats and skills. You have prime scores which mean you have to roll over a 12 if you are skilled or trained in it, and an 18 if you are not. These are the basic numbers you'll always have to roll over to succeed (in theory you reduce each by 1 for every level you gain but when opposed by others, they add 1 for every level they have...so the scores stay basically the same as you advance and face greater threats).

And that's the system in a nutshell.

It's fast, easy, and light to run. It is a generic fantasy system (though they have their own world called Airde which you can also use for a campaign and multiple adventure modules) which you can adapt for any setting.

I enjoy it, especially if I'm in a D20 type mood but don't want to run something as heavy as Pathfinder, and don't want to deal with some of the restrictions of bonded accuracy or the complications of character creation with backgrounds and other aspects of 5e (in C&C classes are pretty static so it's basically roll your scores, choose a race and class and go, no choosing of skills, backgrounds, or other items unless you want to include those options).

From that description it actually seems like castles and crusades would fit my group well. We are looking for something that isn't too bogged down with rules.
Is the world of Airde any good or is it run of the Mill?

D

dco

Once we played ASOIAF, it was so bad that after 2 sessions no one wanted to repeat the experience and we didn't finish the published adventure. Pages and pages of errata, some people made untouchable characters that made all encounters (combat or social) trivial, social combat in our group was an obstacle for roleplaying...

Remove ads