• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone Tried Hexes?

Acid_crash

First Post
Before 4e I'd want to play with hexes, as they always seemed to make more sense... but now after playing 4e with both squares and hexes, the squares are a whole lot easier to use with hexes, and the main issue was when the Wizard attempted to do all his AoE spells, the DM had a difficult time coming up with the areas in which they would take place. Using squares makes this so much easier, as they are of course mapped out and it's so simple now, but hexes, with their relatively non-even diagonals and what not, make the area spells a bit more difficult to figure out.

Of course it would just take a little bit of work, but still I'd rather use squares than hexes.

Incendax

First Post
2eBladeSinger said:
According to WoTC variation is more likely to be disadvantageous to PCs because as the rules are designed the PCs have the advantage.
I can definitely see that being the case. On the grid you've got 8 squares surrounding you, which doesn't just mean you could have 8 minions swarming, but that you had 8 avenues of escape if necessary.

Hex offers only 6 surrounding hexs, which results in fewer effects when kobolds swarm around you, but also cuts off more avenues of escape.

My actual play experience didn't have many situations that monopolized on this handicap, but someone else's playstyle could easily have you swarmed and surrounded frequently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads