• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone using Onenote?

bigwillt

First Post
Hey all, just found this thread a few days ago and started looking around. Found Office 2007 Student edition at Staples for $75 after rebates. Was going to download the trial version and use it a while but was so convinced these posts and a quick look at what it could do I had to beg my wife to allow me to get it this close to Christmas. Just loaded and haven't even started putting info in yet. Wanted to take another look at the examples and thank everyone for their tips.

For those who are using Googledocs, you should also check out google notebook.

It does not do what onenote does, but it does help to fill the gap between what docs and note.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I've been using OneNote to organize Warhammer 40k army lists and to transcribe handwritten scanned notes (that are far too messy for OCR).

It does indeed look like it could be a great DM campaign tool.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I use OneNote for my PC character sheet and notes. It's awesome, as many have said here. I use a tiddlywiki for adventure writing and session notes, along with Excel, however. All awesome tools.

Zustiur

Explorer
I too would like to thank this thread (and the other one on the same topic) for causing me to re-examine OneNote.
I now hold all my DMing data (other than spreadsheets) in OneNote, and am working on moving my characters into it also.
But more importantly from a day to day basis, I have been using OneNote for my work as an impromptu programmer. It's perfect for jotting down ideas while in the middle of other tasks, and the way it organizes everything is just wonderful.

My only regret is that I haven't actually run a game of DnD since I converted. Soooon...

Sytonis

First Post
OneOne Organisation

Does anyone who is currently using OneNote for campaign notes have any advice on how to set up the tabs, pages and sub-pages? At the moment I am thinking along the lines of:-

Tabs - Characters, Equipment, Locations, Ideas, Adventures

Pages - [Character Tab] Character A, Character B etc [Locations Tab] Country A, Country B, Ruin A, Ruin B etc [Adventure Tab] Adventure #1, #2, #3 etc

Sub Pages - (Character A Page) Level 1, Level 2 etc or Stats, Items, Background (Adventure #1 Page) Session #1, #2, #3 etc

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sytonis

Ebonyr

First Post
I saw a thread in the computer forum on this site a few weeks ago. I got a hold of the program and its great! 5 Stars from me. :cool:

Zustiur

Explorer
Tabs as follows:
Adventures | Sessions | Monsters | Combat | Characters | Rules | Arcs | World/Location

Adventures should be self explanatory, each page is a different one.
Sessions I use to keep track of what I expect to do in the next session, and what happened in previous ones. This is where game notes are kept.
Monsters is entries pulled from SRD and modified to suit my taste
Combat is an experiment - I'm not sure if I'll keep this one. Was going to use it for keeping initiative and HPs etc
Characters is just notes on the player's characters, one page each.
Rules is bits I regularly lookup in the SRD or rule books
Arcs is a description of how the adventures fit together, and what the various plot lines are actually about.
World/Location is any info about the world that doesn't fit into one of the other categories. NPC info would likely go in here.

I keep my calendar in an xls, along with big lists of names and such. That's where I'm currently tracking NPCs and locations.

Merkuri

Explorer
Yeah, I'm not sure if there's a good way to track initiative, as I don't think there is any kind of auto-sorting option for tables in OneNote.

There isn't an auto-sort option, but you can easily drag rows up or down in the list manually. A little crossed-arrows icon will appear next to the row, and you just drag it up or down. It's the simplest re-order of any table that I've seen in an Office program, even counting Excel.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads