D&D 5E Anyone using spell points from the DMG?

vivsavage

Explorer
I'm curious as to how well they worked for you, especially at higher levels. BONUS: what do you think of – instead of spell slots or spell points – using a spellcasting roll to see if a spell works or not?

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
I've always wanted to try them.... but in the end my players weren't interested in the extra bit of math.

I think they give you more flexibility, but may change the balance of encounters if the players jus send 5th level spell after 5th level spell all day.

Yaarel

He Mage
Regarding the math of the spell points, defacto, there is no "gap" between slot 2 and slot 3. There are some very powerful level 2 spells and some very subpar slot 3 spells. Thus there is a seemless continuum from 1 to 5.

Recalculate the spell points available according to the following values

Slot 1: 2 points
Slot 2: 3 points
Slot 3: 4 points
Slot 4: 5 points
Slot 5: 6 points

The higher slots are treated separately.

I actually only use points for slots 1 to 5. For slots 6 to 9, the game system treats them separately, and I just use the regular per-day slots for them. This also avoids spamming the spells of slots 6 to 9.

A character can spend 1 point to cast an unknown/unprepared cantrip.

Shiroiken

Legend
I've always wanted to try them.... but in the end my players weren't interested in the extra bit of math.

I think they give you more flexibility, but may change the balance of encounters if the players jus send 5th level spell after 5th level spell all day.
The big issue is using it outside of the 6-8 encounters per day. This lets a character "nova" every combat, since they just don't care about low level spells. With extended encounters, they will have to fall back on cantrips much quicker if they do this.

Remove ads