D&D 5E Anyone Using the Optional Initiative from the DMG?

Negflar2099

Explorer
I'm curious if anyone has tried out the optional initiative system from the DMG, the one that allows you to factor in the speed of an action. For me it sounds interesting. Not just because of the old school feel (although I do like that) but also because of the immersion it would seem to bring. Right now combat seems very linear, with each person taking their turn to fight. Using the optional system would seem to eliminate that. Using that system actions would seem to flow into each other a little bit better.

I do have some concerns though. Specifically I think that system really hurts primary casters (but hey maybe they need the nerf, I don't know). And I don't know how it would work with concentration. If you're using that system and a wizard starts casting a non-concentration required spell on count 20 and finishes it on count 17 but someone attacked him on count 18 would there be a chance the spell is ruined? I would say no, just for balance reasons, but I'm curious what you all think.

Also, what about monster powers? It would be unfair if spell like monster abilities don't suffer the same penalties but maybe not. These are natural abilities after all.

Thoughts?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Nope. In fact, I go the other direction. Everyone rolls for initiative, and I'll say, "Ok everyone above X (x= monster's initiative) can go." Then I go, then I say, "OK, everyone else can go."

It makes it much faster.

I haven't tried it, but I'm really torn. I like everything it does. I don't like the fact that it adds substantial time (real time, not game time) and numbers to track to combat. :(

Agamon

Adventurer
Anything that slows down combat from the default is not an option I'd like. Though it does sound interesting, in theory.

Rune

Once A Fool
I use popcorn initiative. It accomplishes a lot of what sided initiative does without any of the extra time (or unpredictability).

Weapon speeds, on the other hand, are not worth the hassle. That's one thing I miss least from 2e.

Last edited:

Gadget

Adventurer
I think this system, like its predecessor in the days of yore, sounds better than it actually plays. It really does seem more trouble than it's actually worth.

Shiroiken

Legend
I talked it over with my group (along with a host of other rules), to see what they thought. I felt that it would be a boon to the game, giving a more dynamic combat round, but it would certainly increase the IRL time of combat. We've become fond of the fast combat rounds, so we decided against. Of course, I also have 8 players using Roll20 and Skype, so time is already a bit of an issue.

gweinel

Explorer
In theory i am great fun of speed factor. So, I used it in our last session. As it stands now I am not sold. It adds time and I am not sure i got back the feeling I had during the 2nd edition. I will try it for a couple of session before i drop it. I wish there was an application were everyplayer could put their iniative and then i could get the final iniative order.
Anyway... we will see.

Woas

First Post
Not the one in the DMG, but a variant I was thinking of using was the 'lowest to highest initiative in order describe what they do. Resolve actions highest to lowest initiative."

But I'm torn because like Agamon, if it makes combat too long, I'll skip it.

Remove ads