D&D 5E Anyone want to help with a new character?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Oh, good idea!

Ritual Caster would fit in well for a non-Cleric "shaman"-style Barbarian, especially since we house-ruled Ritual Caster can learn rituals from any class (you don't have to pick just one). I would probably start with it and pick up PAM at level 4 since the other two PCs are good fighting types already.

I'm loving the Ritual Casting Loxodon Barbarian! I'm thinking you might should do a 2 handed weapon instead of spear and shield? Your con + rage should cover your survivability IMO. I'm not even sure about PAM at that point as your str bonus on heavy weapons would add +2/+1 going from 16 to 18 using your houserules. From an optimization point of view that's impressive!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm loving the Ritual Casting Loxodon Barbarian! I'm thinking you might should do a 2 handed weapon instead of spear and shield? Your con + rage should cover your survivability IMO. I'm not even sure about PAM at that point as your str bonus on heavy weapons would add +2/+1 going from 16 to 18 using your houserules. From an optimization point of view that's impressive!
Hmm... a two-handed weapon would be better in some ways, but the PAM build I had made before also went with Shield Master for the bonus shove and DEX saves boost...

Decisions, decisions... :)

FrogReaver

Hmm... a two-handed weapon would be better in some ways, but the PAM build I had made before also went with Shield Master for the bonus shove and DEX saves boost...

Decisions, decisions... :)

I would suggest sentinel but you believe your DM lets you grapple with trunk which is far cooler.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would suggest sentinel but you believe your DM lets you grapple with trunk which is far cooler.
He probably will since it says you can use it to grapple under the Loxodon:

1584069431897.png

It is a tough choice. Trying to do SM and PAM means competing bonus actions, it isn't bad with a Fighter given the extra ASI/feats, but with Barbarian it would take a long time to develop.

FrogReaver

He probably will since it says you can use it to grapple under the Loxodon:

View attachment 119852

It is a tough choice. Trying to do SM and PAM means competing bonus actions, it isn't bad with a Fighter given the extra ASI/feats, but with Barbarian it would take a long time to develop.

I think I would pick just one for this character (rage is also a bonus action). I like Shield Master better just because it can be paired with the trunk grapple for hilarious effect. Your DM will hate that combo :devilish:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think I would pick just one for this character (rage is also a bonus action). I like Shield Master better just because it can be paired with the trunk grapple for hilarious effect. Your DM will hate that combo :devilish:
It gets even better! In his generous wisdom, Shield Master also grants proficiency for using it as an improvised weapon to punch. The AC will be even better because our homebrew kite shield is +3 to AC and not +2, it also does 1d6 damage as an improvised weapon instead of only 1d4. :D

This is looking better and better! I will still go with a spear, again I like the more primitive mammoth idea for the barbarian, and ritual caster I could get spells like alarm, find familiar, speak with animals, etc. which would definitely add a nice magical aspect.

NotAYakk

Legend
So, if I go barbarian (tundra storm herald) with ritual caster & shield master route:

View attachment 119880

What do you think?
Not hairy enough.

Survival Instincts class feature variant would be good. 2x proficiency in medicine.

Note that your reckless attack is a bit wasted without GWM, but you do get advantage in athletics check to shove/grapple even without reckless attack. And speed 0 prone foes cannot stand up.

Finding a way to be large or huge would be big; huge lets you grapple/shove anything.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Not hairy enough.

Survival Instincts class feature variant would be good. 2x proficiency in medicine.

Note that your reckless attack is a bit wasted without GWM, but you do get advantage in athletics check to shove/grapple even without reckless attack. And speed 0 prone foes cannot stand up.

Finding a way to be large or huge would be big; huge lets you grapple/shove anything.

Well, heroforge doesn't have a hairy option unfortunately. But it conveys the idea well enough.

Going Shield Master would be a boon to DEX saves, so I might be able to go with Survival Instincts. I would have to think about it more. The flavor is certainly there!

Going larger via Enlarge/Reduce was one reason I contemplated going Figther for EK... :unsure:

Last edited:

Remove ads