D&D 5E Anyone want to help with a new character?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hey, everyone!

I have been thinking about what to play for our next game. It is a ways off still, but I am interested in any ideas the community might have?

We rolled 4d6k3, in order, and here are the results:

STR 14
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 15
WIS 10
CHA 13

Our house-rule is I can add an ASI +2 and an ASI +1 anywhere, regardless of race, except for variant human which would be 2 ASI +1's. We start with a feat at level 1 (human variant gets 2!!! :) )

EDIT: We have most ability scores grant things, so I should outline those as they might impact suggestions:
  • STR: Heavy weapons gain bonus half (round down) to damage, Light weapons grant only half STR mod to damage.
  • CON: extra Exhaustion levels
  • INT: extra proficiencies (any, so weapons, armor, skills, language, whatever...)
  • WIS: a bonus to any roll once per long rest
  • CHA: a bonus to d20 rolls when Inspiration is used
My first thought was elf or half-elf bladesinger, bumping STR to 16 and INT to 16. The high CON would help with HP and concentration checks. I would start off as a Fighter maybe who loved magic as a hobby, and move to Wizard quickly.

But, my current character is an elf in our main game, and part-wizard as well (war magic), so I was looking for some inspiration for something different.

Any ideas? Nothing from Eberron, and PHB races are preferred by not required (game world issue). Thanks!

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
High Int Zealot Barb, boost Str and Int. Wear cloth + shield & flail/warhammer. Take the Observant feat and the mage slayer.

You are now an Inquisitor!

or an Eldritch Knight, but its still close to your wizard.

What sort of character do you feel like playing? Martial? Spellcaster? Melee? Skill-based?
Kind of a pity that Eberron is off the table, because that would be a pretty good Artificer setup.
Can you add the ASI +2 and the ASI +1 to the same stat?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't have any interest in the Artificer, personally. Looked at it, doesn't appeal to me.

Probably anything but a full spellcaster. I am not a big min/maxer, so even a rogue or monk (despite my lower DEX and WIS) would be fine if the concept is interesting. We aren't allowed to MC.

No, the ASI +2 and ASI +1 have to be on different scores. A combination with a feat that could further enhance them would be good just to strengthen a possible lower score. For example, I could put the ASI +2 in WIS and boost it +1 with Observant, or ASI +2 in CHA and +1 more with Actor for a CHA 16.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
UPDATE: I've added some information we do for homebrew to the OP and here is the same info:

EDIT: We have most ability scores grant things, so I should outline those as they might impact suggestions:
  • STR: Heavy weapons gain bonus half (round down) to damage, Light weapons grant only half STR mod to damage
  • CON: extra Exhaustion levels
  • INT: extra proficiencies (any, so weapons, armor, skills, language, whatever...)
  • WIS: a bonus to any roll once per long rest
  • CHA: a bonus to d20 rolls when Inspiration is used to reroll a failed roll

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
UPDATE: I've added some information we do for homebrew to the OP and here is the same info:
Then I reiterate the idea of a Barbarian, but this time an Ancestral Spirit in medium armor + animal handling + diplomacy + a bunch of languages, playing as a veteran knight who is haunted by the ghost of those he killed in a previous war. Rage is going full on PTSD.

NotAYakk

Legend
Barbarian. +2 con, +1 strength, athlete feat (+1 str).

Shield, Sword, no armor (18 AC, 17 HP). At level 2-8 transistion to 2 H weapon and GWM.

Frenzied might work, with 5 extra exhastion levels, but as you regain them just as slow maybe not.

Or go PAM and leave con at 19; 16 HP 15 AC and 1d10+3/1d4+3 attack. Scale Str at 4, get GWM at 8, cap str at 12.

Not many good half feats for con. Maybe 16 str 13 dex 18 con and plan to get resilient (dex) or something?

---

Monks with 12 dex 10 wis have no AC. Sad.

---

Swords bard? 15 cha 16 str (athelete). At 4 actor (or UA diplomacy!l), at 8 cha 18, 12 cha 20. Medium armor with 12 dex isn't optimal, but it is 1 point of AC. Use a longsword.

You are a full caster, but mostly utility casting not blasting. Maybe wrestle? (expertise athletics, enlarge).

Oh wait you can +2+1? So cha primary is doable.
15 str 16 cha bard.

Or similar build and paladin. 16 str 15 cha, bump cha before 6.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't have any interest in the Artificer, personally. Looked at it, doesn't appeal to me.

Probably anything but a full spellcaster. I am not a big min/maxer, so even a rogue or monk (despite my lower DEX and WIS) would be fine if the concept is interesting. We aren't allowed to MC.

No, the ASI +2 and ASI +1 have to be on different scores. A combination with a feat that could further enhance them would be good just to strengthen a possible lower score. For example, I could put the ASI +2 in WIS and boost it +1 with Observant, or ASI +2 in CHA and +1 more with Actor for a CHA 16.

Reading that right - Feats No MC?

Remove ads