D&D 5E Anyone want to help with a new character?

NotAYakk

Legend
How about the Rune Knight - https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-RuneSwarmRevived.pdf

Hill Rune has "resist weapons for 1 minute 1/short rest" and all flavors have "become large 1 minute 2/long rest".

Saving throws are also int-based.

That could fit a "I come from another culture with different magic", and giant magic being attached to mammoth-people is pretty cool.

Stats:

STR 14+2
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 15+1
WIS 10
CHA 13

Level 1 feat: Shield Master
Level 3: Rune knight (Hill + 1 other Rune)
Level 4 feat: Ritual Caster.
Level 7: Rune knight (reaction: +4 AC to ally, at-will), +1 Rune
Level 6: +2 strength (18)
Level 8: +2 strength (20)
Level 10: get bigger (still only Large, but still), +1 Rune

Duelist style, because damage is always good, and at level 7 you'll get an at-will reaction.
Naked Shield+Spear is AC 16, +5 to hit 1d6+5 damage (melee or thrown).
14 HP, 1d10+1 second wind

Upgrade to Scale for +1 AC. Upgrade to Half-Plate for +2 AC. Upgrade to Sword/Axe for 1d8 damage.

It fits your stats, I like the "ancient giant magic" on a mammoth feel. You are from a "primitive" culture, but you actually just know a different, more ancient magic. And you learned it by studying it.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
How about the Rune Knight - https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-RuneSwarmRevived.pdf

Hill Rune has "resist weapons for 1 minute 1/short rest" and all flavors have "become large 1 minute 2/long rest".

Saving throws are also int-based.

That could fit a "I come from another culture with different magic", and giant magic being attached to mammoth-people is pretty cool.

Stats:

STR 14+2
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 15+1
WIS 10
CHA 13

Level 1 feat: Shield Master
Level 3: Rune knight (Hill + 1 other Rune)
Level 4 feat: Ritual Caster.
Level 7: Rune knight (reaction: +4 AC to ally, at-will), +1 Rune
Level 6: +2 strength (18)
Level 8: +2 strength (20)
Level 10: get bigger (still only Large, but still), +1 Rune

Duelist style, because damage is always good, and at level 7 you'll get an at-will reaction.

It fits your stats, I like the "ancient giant magic" on a mammoth feel. You are from a "primitive" culture, but you actually just know a different, more ancient magic. And you learned it by studying it.

I actually thought about playing on of those weeks ago as a grappler-type, but honestly the UA subclass seems a bit OP. I'd have to look over again and see if the DM would allow it. The Loxodon is already a bit of a stretch since we don't do much with Ravnica... Still, it is a good suggestion so I'll think it over. Thanks!

NotAYakk

Legend
If your DM thinks it is too strong, make each rune be 1/long rest instead of 1/short rest (upgraded to 2/long rest at level 15 instead of 2/short rest; or maybe upgrade to 1/short rest at level 15).

Iry

Hero
Fire Genasi / Frost Giant Soul Sorcerer
Constitution is your stat for EVERYTHING!

1584128825447.jpeg

Remove ads