• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anything But Normal, Sailing the Endless Falls...

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - I only got one? How close are they together? Are they in a formation, or forming a long line? Definitely need to adjust tactics if a burst can only catch one. :))

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
OOC: Three are on the starboard side and three are on the port size, approximately 60 ft. away now and 60 ft. up in the air. You said you targeted a single, so I just did a single, but if you want to catch multiples, you could have gotten two at once. The second also made his Reflex save with a 21 and took 14 points of fire damage.

Erekose13

Explorer
Vaukriel is prepared to attack the saberwings when they get close enough to strike. Hopefully he'll be in a position to flank at that point.

Kelleris

Explorer
Likewise, Lupaz is still readied to try to spook the creature before it can make its attack on Vaukriel (or on him, horror of horrors).

Shayuri

First Post
As the glassy creatures close in, Trebuchet lowers his arm.

"Adjusting tactics," he reports, and the polished disc just under where his sternum would be starts to extend out away from him. As it slides out, it becomes evident that there are more discs behind it, formerly hidden within Trebuchet's body. The silvery mithril discs are slightly concave and held together by thin metal rod along their outer edges.

A low throbbing hum builds as the discs, three of them now, one by one start to vibrate. In seconds the hum has built on itself; fed on overtones...it becomes a howling shriek like metal ripping, or grinding against metal. An invisible pulse of focused noise radiates out from this apparatus, engulfing the crystalline creatures!

(Delay until as many are within 30' cone as I can get without doing damage to pals. 5d6, fort save DC 18 for half. Or 8d6, if they're "crystalline" in composition. :) If I can only get one, I'll cast Shatter instead of Shout.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Since she cannot reason with the saberwings and has no magics that would affect them in a reasonable manner, Nissa prepares herself for the worst.*

[SBLOCK=OOC] If any enemy gets in melee range, she has readied to touch it. For some reason, I can't edit her sheet (I think it has to do with reduced length allowed for posts after a slowdown or something), but thanks to Weapon Finesse, the Touch should be a +7 to hit touch attack. The Fortitude DC is 20. Failure means that their lungs fill up with water, so an enemy that can't breathe underwater is drowning. That puts them at 0 and unconscious, then -1 on the next round, then dead (assuming no ally pumps the water out of the lungs, uses a spell, etc)[/SBLOCK]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
As the saberwings scream into range, their glassy wing ready to cut and tear those that have dared come into their territory and harm their bretheren, the former residents of the Kingdom of Knowledge show that this was one group they should have just let pass...

Brightstar and Lupaz wait as the three on their side dive for the illumian, the angel's brilliant golden sigils on his wings making him a tempting target. As one dives close to Lupaz, his wings ready to slash at Vakuriel, the hound steps out of the shadows, radiating menace. The saberwing's wingbeats suddenly falter as darkness seems to momentarily engulf him. Lupaz concentrates with all his might, but cannot get himself to bend space to flank one of the saberwings.

Vakuriel brings Beacon of Dawn down on the saberwing's back, the electricity discharging and the spikes scoring its flawless finish. However, he doesn't think the spikestick did as much damage as it should have; it seemed to skitter across the slick surface of the saberwing's body.

Two of the saberwings try to slash at Vakuriel, their sharp wings slashing into the illumian's flesh, leaving behind cruelly sharp cuts that gush with bloody enthusiasm.

Three close in on Trebuchet's side of the ship, drawing closer as they do so they can bring their wings to bear on as many people as they can. Nissa, her hand ready to drown these creatures of the air, darts in and touches one of the saberwings on his sharp chest. He sputters water, but still breathes, and Nissa knows he was strong enough to avoid being drowned. The saberwing shrieks at her and slices into her flesh with its wing, but her watery body parts around it, and no harm comes to her.

Trebuchet is not so lucky, as two of the saberwings slash at him simultaneously, leaving a wound like an X on his chest, their sharp wings screeching across his metallic skin. Trebuchet ducks slightly to the side and angles himself upward to catch all three of the saberwings on his side of the boat, and releases a scream of silent sonic fury. The two that are already scorched with flame nearly shatter at the spell's touch, and the third one is now also riddled with cracks.

OOC: [sblock]Saberwings 4, 5, and 6 are on Lupaz/Vakuriel's side of the boat, and 4 rolled a 1 on his save versus the Daunting Presence. Rolled a 19 to see if Lupaz was able to dimension door, so no movement for you this round, but you did have to come out of hiding to use your Daunting Presence. Vakuriel hit a number 5 with a 25 for 15 points of piercing damage and 10 points of electricity damage from shocking grasp. However, you don't think the spikestick did as much damage as it should have.

Saberwings 5 and 6 hit Vakuriel with a 28 and a 31, for a total of a mere 17 points of damage between them. However, Vakuriel is still bleeding. Saberwing 6 is at a -4 to his attacks from both being shaken and the Dark Companion, but still manages to hit Lupaz with a 31. I rolled a 39 for the blink affect, so you actually are there to be hit at this moment. Lupaz takes a total of 8 points of damag (already calculated in the -2 from being shaken) and is bleeding.

Saberwings 1, 2, and 3 are on Trebuchet's/Nissa's side of the boat, with 1 and 2 having been previously hurt by the fireballs. Nissa hits a 19 with her touch attack, but the saberwing (number 3) got a 21 on his Fort save.

Saberwing 3 tried to hit Nissa, and would have with a 35, but I rolled a 96 for her miss chance, and so she gets off unscathed. Saberwings 1 and 2 both hit Trebuchet with a 33, dealing a total of 21 points of damage between them. After looking over the warforged racial description, I don't see anything that spells out if a warforged is immune to a wounding effect, but the fact that they don't bleed out if unconscious or disabled makes me think they are, so Trebuchet isn't "bleeding."

Saberwings 1, 2, and 3 all get hurt by Trebuchet's shout spell (all three failed their Reflex saves, to the tune of 34 points of damage apiece). [/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Her preparations from the last bout allowing her to act just before the avian menaces can attack again, she gazes sadly at the saberwing, wishing that there could have been some way to avoid violence with these deadly but beautiful creatures, as she makes to touch it again and increase the water level within its lungs.*

[SBLOCK=OOC]Since 1 and 2 are more injured, she'll go for 3 again.

Random thought: Hmm...Nissa wouldn't think of this, but anyone in the group trained in strategy should tell her to pair up with not Trebuchet next time--Nissa's ability to insta-kill rarely that usually fail synergises better with a single-target damage-dealer like Vaukriel moreso than Treb's ability to AoE, since intrinsically the AoE is wasted if Nissa eventually succeeds, and she doesn't have a worthwhile damaging attack to finish off the ones Treb leaves near-defeated. She probably synergises best with Lupaz, who can give them saving-throw penalties. The -2 from Shaken would have been perfect.

Side-note--Not to be the guy who gives a minor advantage to the enemy team, but technically I think Shaken doesn't give a -2 to Damage Rolls. Sickened does. I'm not really sure why, but that's their main difference.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"NNgh," Trebuchet declares...the vocalization sounds more like static and interference than a true voice. He totters backwards, immediately crossing his arms over the affected area to ward off further damage. When he speaks intelligibly, his voice skitters to a wild high pitch, then quickly slows to its usual cultured baritone.

"Armor breached. I am sustaining damage. Retribution ensues."

The resonant discs crackle, and begin their whining, discordant shriek again, pulverizing glass and saberwing alike!

(Another Shout! After moving back 5' of course, again targeting as many as I can. Oh, also, it's a Fort save, not Ref. DC 18.)

Last edited:

Remove ads