• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anything item !!!

Baramay

First Post
In 2nd edition, there was a magic item called the anything item. It could transform into any item 3 times, it also was very expensive considering the payoff. My idea for 3.5 is to have a magic item that can transform and take on any enchantment within a predetermined limit. The trade off would be that the item could only be changed again after a certain period of time. So if I was to create an anything weapon, I would have to designate what enchantments it could hold and then factor in a +? for the ability to change enchantments.

For example a +2 anything weapon could become a flaming, keen weapon or a holy weapon. It would have to be at least a +1 enchantment. My question is how long would be an appropriate time for an item to be "frozen" in its enchantment? Would one week be sufficient, or would one month be more reasonable? What would be a good time limit if the cost was +2?

Claudius Gaius

First Post
Lets see... That would be Eldritch Weapon (a variable weapon-imbuement spell from The Practical Enchanter) with the one-day duration modifier, making it a spell three levels above the total number of plusses or equivalents to be granted. Usable once per day (x.2), effect suppressed until the next day by Dispelling, only on the enchanted item (x.7). Thus +1 total (the Eldritch Weapon sequence does not necessarily require a +1 enhancement effect): L4 spell, CL7, 7840 GP plus weapon cost. +2 total: L5 spell, CL9, 12,600 GP base, +3 total: L6 spell, CL11, 18,480 GP, +4 total: L7 spell, CL 13, 25,480 total, +5 total: L8 spell, CL 15, 33,600 GP, and +6 total: L9 spell, CL 17, 42,800 GP. Now the Markup on that is likely to go up sharply, probably along the lines of x1 through x3.5 - giving final prices of about 8000 for +1, 19,000 for +2, 37,000 for +3, 64,000 for +4, 100,000 for +5, and 150,000 for +6.

You may want to involve additional factors of course, or perhaps an enhancement base on the weapon (that wouldn't stack with bestowed enhancement bonuses, but would work with special properties).

We haven't had anyone want to make such an item, but its covered, at least in that book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads