• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO on "at will" abilities

Belares

First Post
This came up in my last game. I had a Vrock using his "at will" abilities as a free action(dont flame i just misinterpreted the rules) and not as a standard action. To say the least it was a tougher fight for my players, but they prevailed. After the game one of my players asked me about it and stated that they are considered spell-like abilities. So after further review they are and so that means that you can get AoO on them?

I thought that "at will" abilities did not provoke AoOs. Since they are spell like abitlites then my player is saying they are and I have to agree with him on it, unless someone can tell me that they do not.

kreynolds

First Post
Belares said:
I thought that "at will" abilities did not provoke AoOs. Since they are spell like abitlites then my player is saying they are and I have to agree with him on it, unless someone can tell me that they do not.

At will, in referrence to spell-like abilities, means they can cast it/use it/activate it all day long without having to rest or rememorize. Spell-like abilities are usually standard actions, unless stated otherwise. Using a spell-like abilitie provokes an AoO.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
For a reference, check the DMG, page 72, the chart at the top of the page. You can see that spell-like abilities provoke an AoO.

I have a question

If you use a spell-like ability that does not directly duplicate a spell (eg a dragon's Detect Treasure or a demon's Summon Tanar'ri), how do you determine the Concentration save DC (which is based on spell level)? This also applies to Dispel Magic.

Thanks in advance

Greythax

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I have a question

If you use a spell-like ability that does not directly duplicate a spell (eg a dragon's Detect Treasure or a demon's Summon Tanar'ri), how do you determine the Concentration save DC (which is based on spell level)? This also applies to Dispel Magic.

Thanks in advance

Hmm, good question. I don't have a good answer for the detect treasure, other than to try and find a spell that acts like it (like detect magic) and use its level. As for dispelling, that will be based off of caster level, not spell level, and all the creatures with spell likes that I have seen have a caster level listed. As to which effect is dispelled first, see my first suggestion :)

Greythax

hong

WotC's bitch
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I have a question

This came up before, with reference to the paladin's lay on hands ability. The most reasonable answer seems to be to pick the spell that's most similar, and use that. So detect treasure is similar to detect secret doors or detect snares and pits, which would make it 1st level. Summon tanar'ri is like summon monster [7-9], which is the range when you can start summoning demons. Maybe just take the average and call it 8th level.

burdett

Explorer
Just curious...

Where in the rules (please give exact reference) does it say that spell-like abilities can be disrupted by an attack of opportunity?

Is there any similar reference for supernatural or extraordinary abilities (again, exact reference please)? Thanks.

burdett

Explorer
Thanks! EDIT: Err.. Wait..

Thanks!

EDIT: Err.. Wait..

The table and associated texts say that spell-like abilities provoke an attack of opportunity and are affected by dispel and spell resistance, but it does not say that they can be disrupted or require a concentration check. Is there another rule somewhere that would expand upon this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Remove ads