• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Appearance and Realities ... at the BOX OFFICE

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I hadn't heard that last part. That makes me sad. (The like is for the info, not because I like racism!)

I'm not betting on it being true. I don't think there's anything in Finn's story that suggests he'd be becoming a Jedi at any point in the trilogy. Rumors say the darndest things.

Zardnaar

Legend
Demographics and spending trends. Movie franchises that do well in China can keep going even if underperforming in the US. If you can appeal to more markets you can rake in more money, so you look at what works so you can make more money in the future. We got a fifth Bayformers movie because of China.

Finn supposedly didn't end up a Jedi because China is too racist...

The % the studio gets also varies. The US domestic market the Studios get the biggest slice of the box office, China the smallest.

RoS apparently cost around 275 million and somewhere north of 150 million in marketing.

They're not gonna make that much money on it relative to the other two in the trilogy and they probably made more on Rogue One.

You can get a very good idea of the final box office by looking at the % drop off week two and three. 25% or so is good, 70% bad.

Last edited:

If Rise performed amazingly well, then that would be evidence that it was a great course correction, and that it was good to kowtow to the worst aspects of the fanbase.
Uh...No. Per my argument, if Rise did well then it would be because JJ was riding on the coattails of Rian's genius. You seem to assume I'm trying to start some pro-Rise/anti-Jedi beef here but I'm not.

All am saying is that the numbers you cite in the OP are only surprising if you assume that good reviews are what drives blockbusters. But for franchise films, I think it is more about fan enthusiasm (or lack thereof), which in turn is largely driven by how well fans liked the last installment. And that explains the results in the OP.

Zardnaar

Legend
Compounding factors.

1. Mess of a trilogy
2. The Last Jedi
3. Poor character development

I don't think Star Wars fatigue holds up. MCU dies 2-3 movies a year, people like Mandalorian.

Disney messed this trilogy up. They may have actually lost money overall on Star Wars.

Fans were enthusiastic. First two movies made 3 billion dollars.

Next 3 will likely get around 2.7.

Problem is they've around 5.5+ billion dollars on it (4 billion to buy, 1 billion Galaxy's edge, hundreds of millions on marketing).

GreyLord

Legend
Well, it appears, ironically, that my first estimate (or guestimate) at the time was a better guess than my educated estimate later.

Originally I think I said something around 600/700 million to 1 billion. Seems to fall into that camp (later was 500 million to 900 million, which I suppose if we look at the lower number, it would qualify close to the US domestic gross). My early guess was more accurate it seems (though I DID give it a wide number so there's that).

Either way it was lower than many other big name estimates who projected anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 billion USD in it's take.

I figured TLJ backlash was real (not Russian bots or trolls) and that Rian's reactions online (which I think were the REAL cause of the backlash, not really TLJ to be honest, someone calling women and minorities racist and anti-feminists many times does NOT go well with those individuals, especially when it is a WHITE MALE who is calling others that) were causing a REAL problem (though I wonder if Disney is actually going to realize this or not) along with more of a "meh" feeling from the TLJ would cause a lower gross.

On the otherhand, it is still early, my guess could be off still and the higher projections of 1.5 billion could be more accurate.

I JUST HOPE that they analyze it correctly if it is lower and realize it is not so much J.J.'s film (though I KNOW MANY ARE TRYING TO POINT FINGERS AT HIM...I THINK THEY ARE WRONG), as the interference of higher ups into his film in the first place, as well as the lingering problems that were caused by The Last Jedi as a divisive film (which as I stated, I feel were aggravated greatly by how they let Rian Johnson off of the leash and let him go hogwild in insulting anyone who gave the slightest criticism...whether they were really hatred filled white kids...or...(and this is the kicker as I KNEW some of these minority women he called this) Minorities and or women who also criticized the film.

Personally, as they were already looking at the kick back, they should have let JJ do his own thing WITHOUT the interference of the higher ups. I'd probably have much rather seen a movie on the Son of Mortis than a returned Palpatine.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I know you guys are talking about Star Wars, and imma let you finish, but regarding Expectation vs. Reality at the box office:

My wife and I went to the movies last weekend to see "Cats," because we had heard nothing but bad things about it and wanted to judge the spectacle for ourselves. By all accounts this movie was supposed to be a disaster, absolute garbage, a raging trash-fire. When people tell us "Oh man, that was weird," we shout "Gimme!!"

Well.

Yes, it's bizarre. You see, cats are people. Or cats, or cat-people, depending on the scene and the song. They sing about themselves in nonsense rhyme, with their human faces floating unattached to CGI cat heads which are floating unattached to their CGI cat-person bodies. We watched James Corden swallow a whole shrimp the size of a cucumber. We watched Gandalf lap water out of a bowl. We saw Taylor Swift's song-and-dance number, and we're probably Furries now.

And even with all this, we didn't hate it. Sure, our expectations were set so low that it was virtually impossible for us to be disappointed. But we were more than just "not disappointed," we were pleasantly surprised. It's not raging trash-fire bad, it's just regular bad. And we enjoy tons of bad movies. We'd probably watch it again.

Morale of the story: CleverNickName is a colossal wierdo the Internet lies, so always form your own opinions.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
I know you guys are talking about Star Wars, and imma let you finish, but regarding Expectation vs. Reality at the box office:

My wife and I went to the movies last weekend to see "Cats," because we had heard nothing but bad things about it and wanted to judge the spectacle for ourselves. By all accounts this movie was supposed to be a disaster, absolute garbage, a raging trash-fire. When people tell us "Oh man, that was weird," we shout "Gimme!!"

Well.

Yes, it's bizarre. You see, cats are people. Or cats, or cat-people, depending on the scene and the song. They sing about themselves in nonsense rhyme, with their human faces floating unattached to CGI cat heads which are floating unattached to their CGI cat-person bodies. We watched James Corden swallow a whole shrimp the size of a cucumber. We watched Gandalf lap water out of a bowl. We saw Taylor Swift's song-and-dance number, and we're probably Furries now.

And even with all this, we didn't hate it. Sure, our expectations were set so low that it was virtually impossible for us to be disappointed. But we were more than just "not disappointed," we were pleasantly surprised. It's not raging trash-fire bad, it's just regular bad. And we enjoy tons of bad movies. We'd probably watch it again.

Morale of the story: CleverNickName is a colossal wierdo the Internet lies, so always form your own opinions.

Man... if I had money to spare I'd go see Cats, but I'll wait for the home video release... Sounds like a HOOT.

But, it feels to me like you liked Cats in spite of itself, rather than because of itself. Just because you had fun doesn't make it good, and more importantly, doesn't mean everybody can get in the same mindset as you (or me) to get that same enjoyment. I find it hard to believe Johnny Q. Public who went to see five bloody Michael Bay Transformers movies would appreciate Cats ya know? I'm just baffled at what audience they were trying to court with that cinematic UFO.

Anyway... You reckon we should go see the Sonic movie?

Remove ads