D&D General Appendix EN - What one book/series inspires your D&D?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

GreyLord

Legend
Not clear on what was meant by the Hobbit: Ring cycle in it.

So, I'll be more clear.

The Works of J.R.R. Tolkien which inlcludes, not just the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but all the works edited by his son and heirs which include the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, the Lost Tales, Beren and Lutien, The Children of Hurin..etc.

Forgotten Realms and D&D novels.

Endless Quest and other gamebooks.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Not clear on what was meant by the Hobbit: Ring cycle in it.

So, I'll be more clear.

The Works of J.R.R. Tolkien which inlcludes, not just the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but all the works edited by his son and heirs which include the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, the Lost Tales, Beren and Lutien, The Children of Hurin..etc.

Forgotten Realms and D&D novels.

Endless Quest and other gamebooks.
At the time of the original list I think just the Hobbit and LotR we're out. (Silmarillion in 1977). The rest are a welcome addition to my mind.

Last edited:

Xenophon223

Explorer
I've been looking for a reason to join and start posting, this seems like an excellent opportunity. I agree with everyone endorsing the Black Company books they are excellent and present a realistic idea of what fantasy warfare would be like.
In a similar vein, I'd add the books of the First Law Universe by Joe Abercrombie. The original trilogy is excellent, but the stand alone novel Best Served Cold is just ripe for stealing from for an adventure. His books subvert all the tropes and have some of the most memorable characters in modern fantasy. They are great for NPC inspiration.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I've been looking for a reason to join and start posting, this seems like an excellent opportunity. I agree with everyone endorsing the Black Company books they are excellent and present a realistic idea of what fantasy warfare would be like.
In a similar vein, I'd add the books of the First Law Universe by Joe Abercrombie. The original trilogy is excellent, but the stand alone novel Best Served Cold is just ripe for stealing from for an adventure. His books subvert all the tropes and have some of the most memorable characters in modern fantasy. They are great for NPC inspiration.

Welcome to the boards!

I've read some of Abercrombie's short stories and have been meaning to check out some of his full length things. Would you start with "Best Served Cold"?

Xenophon223

Explorer
Welcome to the boards!

I've read some of Abercrombie's short stories and have been meaning to check out some of his full length things. Would you start with "Best Served Cold"?
Thank you very much!

No, "Best Served Cold" has some excellent callbacks to the First Law trilogy that will have a lot less impact if you start there. I'd start with the first book in the series, "The Blade Itself." It is excellent as are the next two books in the trilogy. The characters in it are some of the best crafted characters in all of fantasy IMO.

The Thieves World anthologies and Robert Asprin's Myth series are both intrinsically tied in my head with D&D, because I discovered all three at roughly the same time. From Thieves World I get a love of fantasy cities (and a bit of grit) whereas from the Myth series, a touch of humor, extraplanar travelling, and rollicking adventure.

Yes that is a great list in the OP.

The Sanctuary series of short stories. The general amorality and general shenanigans of the characters--don't call them heroes--is a perfect fit.

4734404._UY449_SS449_.jpg

Remove ads