• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Apple users: Would you buy Hero Lab if it ran on Mac OS?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You have no way of knowing, but I'm "mechanically disinclined."

I get it from my father, who once "repaired" a washing machine and had parts left over. A new washer soon showed up at the door.

He once "repaired" a toilet one New Year's Eve by replacing the float valve...but in actuality, the knob he turned thinking it shut off the water didn't. The resulting fountain of water hit the ceiling and we were bailing hundreds of gallons of water out of our house before the night was through. Our houseguests arrived early in the morning...

Good times, good times.

I have great faith that were I to try to build my own "Hackintosh," I'd either be responsible for burning down my house or creating Replicators. Or both.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I would buy it for Pathfinder and Mutants and Masterminds. I'd be trying to run it on Tiger but on the PowerPC chip and not Intel (though I have access to my wife and daughter's Macs - those are Intel - so that wouldn't be a dealbreaker).

TheWyrd

First Post
I would be very excited to no longer have to remote desktop into my work computer (windows) in order to create characters. I'm excited to hear more.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Yeah, it excites me too. So much so that I'd be very interested in being a beta tester for it when they've got a stable-ish build. (hint, hint!)

DanChops

First Post
Is the content acquired at the time you purchase a license static, or does it update with future releases? For instance, if I were to purchase this software with a 4E license today, would I have access to PHB3 content when it comes out?

If so, then this would be a phenomenal alternative to the official Character Builder for mac users. I have a hard time seeign how that could be the case without some sort of subscription pricing though.

LWDPressRelease

First Post
Is the content acquired at the time you purchase a license static, or does it update with future releases?

The content continues to evolve with each update. The data files for each game system are separate from the product itself and are updated independently. Updates to both the product and the data files are provided.

For instance, if I were to purchase this software with a 4E license today, would I have access to PHB3 content when it comes out?

4E is different from other game systems. We provide most games under license from the publisher, but WotC is a major exception. For the old d20 stuff, we utilize the SRD. For 4E, we include a tool with the data files to download all the data from the compendium and automatically convert it into suitable data files for Hero Lab. If you have a DDI subscription, you have access to everything in the Compendium from within Hero Lab. Without a DDI subscription, you can only access the limited Compendium content, so only that data is available within Hero Lab.

So as long you maintained your DDI subscription, you would have access to the PHB3 content. However, the downloaded and converted Hero Lab data files continue to live on your system, so can terminate the DDI subscription and continue using whatever you currently have within Hero Lab forever if you wish.

And yes, we update the tool and the data files monthly, shortly after each new DDI update.

DanChops

First Post
If you have a DDI subscription, you have access to everything in the Compendium from within Hero Lab. Without a DDI subscription, you can only access the limited Compendium content, so only that data is available within Hero Lab.

So as long you maintained your DDI subscription, you would have access to the PHB3 content. However, the downloaded and converted Hero Lab data files continue to live on your system, so can terminate the DDI subscription and continue using whatever you currently have within Hero Lab forever if you wish.

And yes, we update the tool and the data files monthly, shortly after each new DDI update.

So, to get full us out of this, I would need to purchase a DDI subscription as well. Makes sense. I've thusfar avioded DDI simply because the character builder doesn't work on Mac OSX. This software could induce me to take that plunge though.

Yeah, if it were released for a Mac I'd probably buy it.

Remove ads