D&D 5E Arcana of the Ancients, in my hands!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hello all,

Don't see much on the threads on this book. Just received my shipment today.
I ended up buying both a regular copy, as well as the deluxe. Not sure what the reasoning was for getting both when I backed, tbh.
But now I’ve got them!

Attaching a pic. Later I might give a review. Have to finish Wildemount and Eberron first 🙃
1C8B6E9D-A09E-4C2E-AA19-1B083FE590FF.jpeg

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'm planning on using cyphers from that book in my Eberron campaign. The heroes have just run through the introductory adventure in the new Eberron sourcebook and I have decided that the coded schema that has been found is an ancient replicating device that misfunctions and can create random items from its large menu of items at a rate of one per day.

I'll be using the random table in this book and I think it will work well. However first they need to decode the schema and then build the machine.

Rellott

Explorer
The items in there would be good for use in a sci-fi game without all the restrictions that are intended to make them interesting for a fantasy game. Settings/5e ports like Dark Matter, Esper Genesis, Hyperlanes, Spaceships and Starwyrms, Lasers and Liches, etc. might make great fits.

GlassJaw

Hero
Monte's baseline style is a little too high/weird fantasy for my taste but his products are high quality and top notch. And interestingly enough, Chaositech was one of my favorite 3ed products.

I've heard a little about this and I'm certainly intrigued. Is it just a port of Numenera? Or something new entirely? Does it have anything like Chaositech in it?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've skimmed my PDF. As always, great production values. There are so many novel ideas in here, to really change your game. Or just surprise your players.

Really, there are great nuggets here.

I have considered writing up thoughts on how the various game worlds could be effected if old technology suddenly appeared... But I've already got three projects going at the same time.... And I'm working on focus.

Either Book version, (Standard or Deluxe), have a very nice feel to the paper, and good binding. I love built in bookmarks, so the Deluxe version is very good. Like most MCG products, the page borders are color coded, so very easy to jump to the section you want.

I’ve borrowed elements from Numenera before, for 5e, ( most people are willing to learn/relearn D&D, Cypher system tends to get more resistance for casual RPG players).

Arcana of the Ancients converts the cyphers ( one shot ‘magic items’) from the Numenera core rulebook and from the Cypher Chest.....this is easily over 150 new items, that can be used.
Relics are more long term items, more akin to ‘standard items’ and are also described.
You can easily double the amount of items available at your fingertips, from the DMG.

I am only part way through reading the monster section.
Great Monsters, good descriptions and some brief, notes for role playing hooks and what the creatures’ motivations are.

If you like modules like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Land Beyond the Magic Mirror and the Arneson Sci-fi elements, in modules of old, this will be of interest to you.

An Eberron campaign featuring the daelkyr, would benefit greatly from this book.
The Mror Holds is a perfect area to stage the awakening of the ancients, (the daelkyr in this case),and make daelkyr forged items, ( or dwarven copies), seem strange and different.

The book also has a section on game mastering DM Intrusions. I have not read the section, but imported the rules from the cypher system, as my Default ‘ How to Award Inspiration’ rules when 5e came out.

This is a solid product. / Understatement/

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I get my hands on the hardcover to flesh out a bit my FR's old empires like the Ismakari, Illusk and Netheril.

Personally for using it for FR I'd go even older for the Ancients, to a mysterious civilization that existed before the Days of Thunder, exotic civilizations that died out when Dendar ate the original Sun of the Forgotten Realms. That would explain why all of this stuff is so exotic and strange even when compared with the magic of the Creator Races. Maybe this race was so old they predated even the creation of the first dedicated Goddess of Magic, which is why they use science instead of magic.

Remove ads