D&D 5E Arcane Rules- What is your favorite "hidden" rule in 5e?

Lanliss

Explorer
You know, I've always been split about the whole "comeliness" thing from UA 1e.*

I mean, we all know that charisma != physical attractiveness, but to have charisma both be completely separate from intelligence and wisdom ... I don't know. I think it can lead to a lot of confusion.**

*That said, I've never used it.

**Think about it. If charisma is not physical attractiveness, which it isn't, have you ever met someone who was incredibly charismatic, but was also not physically attractive, not intelligent, and not wise? Sort of a charismatic potato?

Donald trump?

EDIT: I am sorry any trump lovers on here, just saw the chance for a joke and took it. I do not personally actually have any problems with him, nor was I trying to turn this into a political argument.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
My favorite rule, one that I'd merrily watch during game play with all the trainwreck vigor of Rosanna Arquette watching Mia Wallace take a syringe through the heart a la Pulp Fiction, is the interplay between a bag of holding and a portable hole.

[sblock=Cosmic Rip in the Universe]Putting a bag of holding inside a portable hole will cause a rift to be opened to the Astral Plane, and both items will be lost forever. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it instead opens a gate to the Astral Plane, sucking in every creature in a ten-foot radius, and destroying both the bag and hole. The contents of the bags are either scattered throughout the Astral Plane or destroyed.[/sblock]

I mean, really. I'm dying to see that in action.

I've seen this happen, once in 3E:

The party was fighting some big-bad and came up with the brilliant plan of unfolding the portable hole on the floor so we could push the bad guy into it and inflict falling damage and then fold it up and suffocate him.

Unfortunately, one of the party members was carrying a bag of holding and fighting near the edge of the open hole and wound up falling in...

It was time for that campaign to end anyway.

Coredump

Explorer
Getting to fling more than one spell in a round can be confusing:
If you get to cast as action and bonus action, one of them must be a cantrip.
If you get two actions to cast spells such as being lvl 2 fighter and some caster combo, you can cast both as anything you like. If you add bonus action casting, you again cannot use more than one leveled spell.

This isn't quite right.

If you cast a bonus action spell (regardless if cantrip or not) any other spells that turn must be cantrips. Even if Action Surge.

Misty step - firebolt - firebolt is legal

Quickened firebolt - firebolt - magic missile is not legal.

devincutler

Explorer
My favorite rule, one that I'd merrily watch during game play with all the trainwreck vigor of Rosanna Arquette watching Mia Wallace take a syringe through the heart a la Pulp Fiction, is the interplay between a bag of holding and a portable hole.

[sblock=Cosmic Rip in the Universe]Putting a bag of holding inside a portable hole will cause a rift to be opened to the Astral Plane, and both items will be lost forever. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it instead opens a gate to the Astral Plane, sucking in every creature in a ten-foot radius, and destroying both the bag and hole. The contents of the bags are either scattered throughout the Astral Plane or destroyed.[/sblock]

I mean, really. I'm dying to see that in action.

In Living Greyhawk, at a convention in Southern California, a person did just that at a mega event in which an army was invading the city. His group was tasked with defending the docks and denying their use to the enemy. When he and his companions were being overrun, he called Broken Arrow and combined the two items, destroying himself and the docks but preventing the invaders from using them to land more forces.

This is my personal bias coming in having played a *lot* of 1e and BECMI, but I still have trouble adjusting to the mix-n-match race/class combos.

I don't know if it will be forever, but Dwarven Wizard will always just feel wrong.
I know what you mean. But still, you could read Rumpelstiktskin and other old-world fairy tales a few times until it stops feeling weird. Nonmagical are actually the weird ones.

LOL.

PnPgamer

Explorer
This isn't quite right.

If you cast a bonus action spell (regardless if cantrip or not) any other spells that turn must be cantrips. Even if Action Surge.

Misty step - firebolt - firebolt is legal

Quickened firebolt - firebolt - magic missile is not legal.

Eh, give or take.

Vicaring

First Post
FACT- Wizard of Oz released August 31, 1939.

FACT- September 1, 1939, Germany invades Poland, kicking off WW2 as part of their plan for World Domination.

QUESTION- Coincidence, or was your mind officially blown?

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

You just proved Half-Life 3. I bow to your mad genius.

Remove ads