• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Arcane Rules- What is your favorite "hidden" rule in 5e?

ccs

41st lv DM
I haven't bothered to study 5e hard enough to really note any hidden rules. Yet.

My favorites from 1e though;
●Helmets - if your not wearing a helm, something like 60% of blows are aimed at your head. Wich is a much easier AC to hit than the rest of you. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET IN 1E!
●Boots - yes, there are rules buried in the DMG differentiating soft vrs hard boots!
●The carry capacity of large/small sacks, backpacks, & belt pouches.
It's in the DMG. But if you don't read 4 paragraphs of text in the way way back of the book you'll forever wonder. Wich in a game where a good amount of your xp is gained by recovering treasure is a bad thing.
Even then it doesn't address the belt pouch at all & you only get a partial answer concerning backpacks....
This info (+ the belt pouch) is later reprinted in the back cover of the character sheet packs - a completely optional product that how many ever actually bought?
Thankfully now days you can find this info via Google....
●movement rates for characters - if you only look at the PHB you'll think everyone starts at 120'/round, modified by encumberance.
●Stat modifiers for Wood Elves found in the MM

My favorite rule, one that I'd merrily watch during game play with all the trainwreck vigor of Rosanna Arquette watching Mia Wallace take a syringe through the heart a la Pulp Fiction, is the interplay between a bag of holding and a portable hole.

[sblock=Cosmic Rip in the Universe]Putting a bag of holding inside a portable hole will cause a rift to be opened to the Astral Plane, and both items will be lost forever. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it instead opens a gate to the Astral Plane, sucking in every creature in a ten-foot radius, and destroying both the bag and hole. The contents of the bags are either scattered throughout the Astral Plane or destroyed.[/sblock]

I mean, really. I'm dying to see that in action.

I .... see the words you put in that question, and each of them makes sense individually, but I cannot understand them in combination.
Cognitive dissonance. Check.

Also, note to self: In your plans for world domination, make sure to take lowkey13 to theatrical production featuring Little People who sing.

No comment on mind blown until my remark in post #64 is addressed, sir.

But, really, man. Your Google-fu is strong to be able to suss out dates that rapidly. That, or you have either Wikipedia or the Encyclopaedia Brittanica stuffed between your ears. If the latter, yes, MIND BLOWN you get to be Official Chronicler of one of my games.

Phantarch

First Post
dwarfbard.jpg

Remove ads