Arcane Trickster Help...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
So, I joined a new gaming group and we're beginning a new campaign with first level characters. He's letting me use the "apprentice" rules in the DMG to build a 1st level rogue/wizard.

Now, I've heard about the Arcane Trickster PrC, but I don't own Tome and Blood. I have a buddy who does, but he's out of town, so I can't borrow it until he gets back next week.

First, I'd like you're opinions on the PrC... Is it worth taking? Second, I'm looking for an idea of what the prerequisites are required and what kind of special abilities are gained, so I know what to plan for and what to expect.

Rybaer

First Post
Here's the pre-req's:

Align - non-lawful
Decipher Script 7 ranks
Disable Device 7 ranks
Escape Artist 7 ranks
Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks
Spells - mage hand and 3rd level arcane
Sneak Attack 2d6

Pretty steep prereq's, but it's a cool class with good abilities. They get full spell progression plus full sneak attack. Throw on some special abilities as well and it's very attractive.

Worth shooting for, but the prereq's will keep you from getting there until about 9th level or so.

Hope that helps.

-Rybaer

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Yeah...

The earliest I could get it would be level 8, as a Rogue 3/Wizard 5, but only if I spent cross-class Wizard skill points in DS, DD and EA. Otherwise, I'd have to wait until Rogue 4/Wizard 5.

Anyway, it looks like my character is on track for the prereqs... He's CG, and the only one of those skills he doesn't have maxed out is Escape Artist.

Wild Karrde

First Post
I won't go into the prereq's since that' been picked up but all-in-all I've been having a great time with this prestige class. I think it's alot of fun to play.

The best part if the fact that the sneak attack progression stays on target, which in my oppinion is what the rogue is all about. And the spells come in really handy. It makes you a very versatile rogue.

Great skills, great sneak attack and spells to fill in missing gaps.

bret

First Post
Minimum level to qualify is Rogue 4 / Wizard 5.

Decipher Script is a Rogue Exclusive skill. You can't improve it past (Rogue Class level + 3), so the PrC needs 4 levels of Rogue.

If you want a character that is more Mage than Rogue, this can be a good class for you.

It has:
d4 Hit Die
BAB +1/2 levels (same as Wizard)
Good Reflex + Will saves
4 + Int Mod skill points
+1 level of existing class every level for spell advancement.
Some really nice special abilities.

The main problem is the rather high prerequisites. It is the master of getting Sneak Attack with a spell.

Remove ads