• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcanis or Scarred Lands - Help me decide

Shellman

First Post
Im not familiar with Arcanis, but Scarred Lands is loaded with flavor. It may not be supported anymore, but that doesn't matter since your not using d20 rules and you can find all the books online for dirt cheap. There is plenty of material to keep you going for years.

catsclaw227

First Post
I am not sure. I just bought a new one from an online retailer and it arrived today. I can't find anthing about what printing or revision it is in the title page.

FYI -- the binding is a little wanky, and it's the only copy the retailer had. They suggested I contact Paradigm and find out if they would swap it out. Anyone else had this problem with the binding on Player's Guide to Arcanis?

Paradigm

First Post
elijah snow said:
If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know the difference in the revised edition of the Player's Guide to Arcanis?

One can find the official errata and clarifications at this URL: http://www.livingarcanis.com/images/PlayersGuideErrata_2006-06-03.pdf. This will cover every difference between the PGtA hardbound and the latest version. This is much larger than one would expect because of the high-demands of the Living Arcanis campaign. If it were designed with only homeplay in mind, it would be probably 3 pages or less.

catsclaw227 said:
I am not sure. I just bought a new one from an online retailer and it arrived today. I can't find anthing about what printing or revision it is in the title page.

FYI -- the binding is a little wanky, and it's the only copy the retailer had. They suggested I contact Paradigm and find out if they would swap it out. Anyone else had this problem with the binding on Player's Guide to Arcanis?

If there is any issue with the binding, it is likely from a printing that we pulled from distributors once we received our copies from the printer, a few were shipped to retailers before we corrected the issue. We will happily exchange it. Email me and we can work that out.

elijah snow

First Post
Paradigm said:
One can find the official errata and clarifications at this URL: http://www.livingarcanis.com/images/PlayersGuideErrata_2006-06-03.pdf. This will cover every difference between the PGtA hardbound and the latest version. This is much larger than one would expect because of the high-demands of the Living Arcanis campaign. If it were designed with only homeplay in mind, it would be probably 3 pages or less.

Thanks, this document is very helpful since I have the original hardbound. :D

catsclaw227

First Post
Paradigm said:
If there is any issue with the binding, it is likely from a printing that we pulled from distributors once we received our copies from the printer, a few were shipped to retailers before we corrected the issue. We will happily exchange it. Email me and we can work that out.

Email (via EnWorld) sent!

hewligan

First Post
I don't own Arcanis, but Scarred Lands (which I own a couple of books from) does not sound right for you. It is quite diverse racially, and I found the remnants of the god-war a bit incoherent between locations. I don't know, at first I liked it, but the more I read the less it seemed to fit together.

Another one you might consider is Midnight. Humanocentric (elves confined to their forest, holding back destruction, the dwarves almost hunted to extinction, gnomes plying river trade but little else, and orcs everywhere mixing with the humans), lots of intrigue (so much that it sometimes drips), and a real strong setting theme (evil won, suck it up!).

Leatherfut

Explorer
hewligan said:
Another one you might consider is Midnight. Humanocentric (elves confined to their forest, holding back destruction, the dwarves almost hunted to extinction, gnomes plying river trade but little else, and orcs everywhere mixing with the humans), lots of intrigue (so much that it sometimes drips), and a real strong setting theme (evil won, suck it up!).

Yea, I have the Midnight core book and it seems pretty good, but that setting is a whole 'nother can of wurms.

I have my new Codex Arcanis in my hands and have started reading it and I'm really loving it. I definately think it was the right choice. It seems to have a good mix of ancient empires, dying modern empire, religion, etc. I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into it.

Any recommendations on a starting adventure? Carnival of Swords looks interesting. Also, I downloaded the Living Arcanis adventures and there's a few intro adventures amongst them. Are any of those good. I'm not real close to starting a campaign yet, just thinking ahead.

happy gaming,
Frank

Remove ads