D&D 5E Archetypes to add to 5e

These are All oddball and niche, and I fully don't grok several. Not saying they are bad ideas, but this does illustrate Crawford's point.
I think it more illustrates the capacity for people to miss the point.

There are a couple of important archetypes left uncovered before we need to resort to silliness - not many, but a couple.

The shapeshifting barbarian and druidic bard have a deep basis in Myth. A witchfinder paladin has a strong basis in history. A Chaos Cleric and Dragon Warlock arise from asymmetries within existing subclasses.

Pauln6

Hero
I want more love for shadow magic, particularly a shadow pact Warlock and some shadow invocations plus the shadowdancer Rogue. More effort to replicate a Warlord would be nice, even if more feat support for existing Warlord light subclasses.

I want more love for shadow magic, particularly a shadow pact Warlock.
There was a Raven Queen warlock UA, but it didn't make the cut. Perhaps a bit to specific? The Hexblade has ties to the Shadowfell in it's lore and a couple of it's abilities - you don't have to build them as a gish.

While talking about the most recent UA, Jeremy Crawford said they have covered most of the standard D&D tropes at this point in the editions life. In a discussion about that UA here it seemed many disagreed with that statement.

So, what archetypes do you think needs some subclass support to play in 5e? What's missing that you'd like to see that is a wide gap, not just a small niche that would never be considered at many tables.

If possible, give an example character from a movie, novel, police report, or wherever you get your inspiration. Something that a new player might come into the game going "I want to build a character like X!", and we want to make sure D&D doesn't let them down.

I'm trying to focus on concept and narrative, not mechanics. For example there are plenty of classes from earlier editions that don't exist but a character of a similar concept can be built even if the underlying mechanics differ.

Also, I'll say it here so that we don't need to have the thread get into a huge discussion on it: Warlord.

They could start by at least putting in the other subclasses from Ravnica. We got robbed!

What they should also consider is consolidating all of the class options for PCs and putting it in the one and same book. Without stuff for DMs.

They could start by at least putting in the other subclasses from Ravnica. We got robbed!

What they should also consider is consolidating all of the class options for PCs and putting it in the one and same book. Without stuff for DMs.

They can easily be bought individually for small change on D&D Beyond.

I have this fantastic invention called a printer.

I would rather a new book contained new stuff.

I have this fantastic invention called the greatest hits. And a fantastic word called consolidation.

If I am not buying them on D&D Beyond how am I getting them to a printer?

Have the book contain errata. I would also like new books with new stuff, but I also think a book with all PC options would be useful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases