D&D 5E Archetypes to add to 5e

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
To do them right requires more mechanical meat then the backgrounds offer.
I disagree, I don't think that mechanics are particularly needed for either bounty hunter or archeologist. A diviner might use their spells to hunt down their quarry or find lost artifacts. A ranger or rogue lie in wait for their quarry.
Trap making features for the Bounty Hunter for example.
I don't think building traps are really something that I'd want to see as a class ability. As soon as that happens players start thinking that they must have those class abilities to build traps.

Yaarel

He Mage
Trap making is more like a Tool proficiency.

Certain classes like Ranger, and certain races like Grugach Elf (and Kobold) would have a way to gain proficiency with it.

In the mean time, the Sleight of Hand skill can handle it. And DMs who use the option might want to require an Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) check to make a trap, as opposed to disarm one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Trap making is more like a Tool proficiency.

Certain classes like Ranger, and certain races like Grugach Elf (and Kobold) would have a way to gain proficiency with it.

In the mean time, the Sleight of Hand skill can handle it. And DMs who use the option can make an Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) check to make a trap, as opposed to disarm one.

I'd say it would depend on the kind of trap: thieves tools, survival might apply.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Legitimate question here:
What is the difference between an Alchemist and a Transmuter?
This is a great reason why example characters are useful. :)

To me (and I'm not claiming to be an authority), a Transmuter changes things with their magic, but not into magic items. An alchemist makes consumable items - potions, explosives, balms, oils, greek fire, elixirs and the like that have a magical or explosive effect and can be shared ahead of time with the rest of the party.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'd say it would depend on the kind of trap: thieves tools, survival might apply.
1*ntV90C5eUGtAz8DahpT9Ng.jpeg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Mearls made some good points about how it shackles their ability to make more of either pact or patron options, which is seen in controversy over the Hexblade.
But they aren’t shackled. There could be a ritualist patron, and that just allows mixing ritualist with familiar or swordy stuff.
Much much more importantly, having each patron automatically set a boon for you is vastly less interesting.

Legitimate question here:
What is the difference between an Alchemist and a Transmuter?
Transmutation is not the singular focus of Alchemists like pop culture would like you to think. IRL Alchemists were chemists, pathologists, herbalists, inventors, etc. In other words, scientists. The idea that they were all obsessed with transmuting lead into gold is at best an oversimplification, and at worst an incomprehensible wild mischaracterization.

Remove ads