D&D 5E Archsuccubi

gyor

Legend
According to Mike Mearls, Brachina and Lilitu will be on par with Archdevils and Demkn Lords but a part of neither hierarchy, or at least that's what he suspects, he is not certain at this time. I wondering what you guys think of Archsuccubi?

Shemeska

Adventurer
If that's the case, I'm not entirely sure that they'll be going back to the Great Wheel cosmology (they weren't, but the Outer Planes were at least going to largely resemble it, but this however really doesn't fit if that's the case).

It looks like they're trying to do some sort of compromise position here between 1e/2e/3e material and the rather divergent 4e redefinitions. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out.

Li Shenron

Legend
This is the first time I hear about such thing.

Do they have a story of sort, or are they just higher-level versions of the regular succubus?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Considering I think 8 of the 9 archdevil lords of the Nine Hells are classically defined as what we would consider "male", and the major demon lords like Baphomet, Orcus and the like are also thought of as "male", and the Pit Fiend is also "male"... advancing some "female" demons and devils up to similar standing is probably a good thing overall. And they are going about it the right way by just creating more powerful "female" demons and devils, rather than retconning the "gender" of the established ones. Some folks are going to complain about this regardless... but I imagine there will be less complaints from this moving up in stature than there would have been from a retcon.

the Jester

Legend
According to Mike Mearls, Brachina and Lilitu will be on par with Archdevils and Demkn Lords but a part of neither hierarchy, or at least that's what he suspects, he is not certain at this time. I wondering what you guys think of Archsuccubi?

Do you have a source on this? I'd like to see what he has to say on the subject. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is Brachina a 4e creation, or based on real mythology like Lilitu/Lilith?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Brachina are essentially what we used to call Erinyes - they are the devil-equivalent of Succubi. Since the devil/demon split is entirely a D&D construction, the two come from the same Lilith mythology.

If they want to really update their mythology, how about having female evil that isn't linked to pleasure and/or sex?

gyor

Legend
The Brachina was introduced in 3.5 in the Tyrants of Hell suppliment. The Brachinais an evovled more powerful, but also more focused on seduction verison of the 3.5 Eryine. The Brachkna were called Pleasure Devils.

Even though Brachina had no connection to Succubi originally, when the Eyrines were transformed into Monsterous infernal vengeful woman of arse kicking in 4e who when they get demoted turn into super hot succubi, so in 4e terms Brachina are now related in that stream. According Erin M Evans Brachina were not transformed like Eryrine's were, which so they now have more in common with Succubi then 4e Eryines.

Remove ads