Are Animals in D&D Too " Eurocentric " ?

Huw

First Post
I also disagree. In a typical D&D world you can get camels, crocodiles, lions, tigers, wild horses, etc. Of course, some of these were European up until the dark ages. You can even get away with armadillos, opossums, lemurs and penguins in most settings. Kangaroos and ground sloths might be pushing it though.

And not just the fauna. How many peasants are out there selling potatoes and tomatoes?

Kaodi

Hero
4) Animals, lacking any magickal or supernatural abilities, generally, are easy to swap for one another if needed. For example, although there are stats in the SRD for both wolves and hyeanas, couldn't you use the stats for one as a good approximation for the other? Same for leapord and cougar, bison, aurochs and yak, deer and antelope, etc. The great diversity of life in the animal kingdom isn't really going to be meaningfully represented in game stats and still offer us any difference. I might well be justified in insisting that a South American scarlet macaw and a European raven are two very different animals, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they should have different stats from each other. They're both among the most intelligent of birds, they have a tradition as serving as companions/familiars (for witches for ravens, for pirates as macaws), they both have a limited ability to mimic human speech (at least in literature, if not always reality) and they're about the same size, they have similar claws, their beaks aren't necessarily the same, but really is that going to make any different on the bite attack?

When I went to go stat out my Pleistocene subglacial megafaunal components, I found that with existing animals and a handful of dire animals, I didn't have any gaps at all, and in fact, I was a bit spoiled for choice, because books like Frostburn gave me needlessly divergent stats for a few creatures.

Fair point. Though I think if that is the case it would be nice if there was a more comprehensive list of animals under each entry for which the stats could be used.

The Shaman

First Post
Despite its name, the mountain lion is more closely related to the house cat than to the African lion. It's not a big cat; it's the largest of the small cats.
It's a distinction without merit when it crushes your neck in its jaws and drags your carcass into the brush.

Jaguars are, or were, North American big cats, too, depending on where one draws the line between the Americas.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Despite its name, the mountain lion is more closely related to the house cat than to the African lion. It's not a big cat; it's the largest of the small cats.

As opposed to the clouded leopard, the smallest of the big cats? ;)

I live in central North Carolina. In my backyard I have seen deer, wild turkeys, raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes, owls, vultures, a bobcat, and more. I have heard a coyote in the distance and a bear was sighted nearby.

The bear, deer, coyote, and bobcat can definitely do damage, but I would not discount the effects of being chased by wild turkey (mean lil' buggers), sprayed by a skunk, bitten by a rabid raccoon, or frightened by the shriek of a barred owl. A critter does not have to be large, to have an effective attack.

And yes, I enjoy going down into the woods at midnight, just to scare the bejeebers out of myself.

I think D&D actually covers a broad range of monsters and animals (can't really speak for 4th edition as I don't own the MM). As others have pointed out there are plenty of exotic animals and exotic monsters (nagas for example are derived from buddhist serpent deities/spirits). However I think it does usually deal with such creatures in a familiar way. But I am not sure that is such a bad thing for an American produced game (just like I would expect a Japanese game present things in ways that are familiar to Japanese gamers).

One of my great joys as a GM in 3E was altering existing monsters to fit other traditions. For instance I was very interested in Thai art and myth for a while. In particular I wanted to bring the Ramakien into my game (this is basically the Thai version of the Hindu epic The Ramayana). I tweaked a lot of monsters like Ogres, modeling things more on the Thai art about the subject than the actual text. It was a great deal of fun. I believe I took the monkey men from Oriental Adventures for hanuman.

Remove ads