Are Animals in D&D Too " Eurocentric " ?

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I say " Eurocentric " , but I also mean " Anglo-North Ameri-centric " .

That is too say, does Dungeons & Dragons not draw heavily enough from the menagerie of animals that live in other parts of the world outside Europe, Canada and the United States?

I'm not so sure that this is true at all. Just a cursoy look at the SRD Monster List shows that the vast majority of animals are native to multiple parts of the world. In fact, a large portion of those animals are exclusively of African and Asian origin. As far as I can tell, the only animal on that list exclusively of European/North American origin is the bison.

Corathon

First Post
The AD&D 1E monster books included a host of non-European, non-North-American animals (e.g. lions, tigers, hippopotamuses, elephants (both African and Indian), hyenas, cheetahs, gorillas, ostriches, emus, rhea) . Did these animals not make it into later editions?

If they did, the "Eurocentric" charge seems kind of silly to me.

That is too say, does Dungeons & Dragons not draw heavily enough from the menagerie of animals that live in other parts of the world outside Europe, Canada and the United States?
No, I don't think so. A few points:

1) Europe and North America have some common fauna, but also a lot of differences. I think it's a mistake to bundle the two of them together and then say that you've got a meaningful point. My campaign setting has a Pleistocene subglacial megafaunal base, for example, which is quite a bit different than a Medieval European one. Sure, both have wolves and bears and deer, for example, but when you come across an imperial mammoth, short-faced bear or saber-tooth, you know that you're not in a fantasy analog of jolly olde Englande anymore.

2) The folkloric and literary antecedants of the game are rooted in a quasi-Medieval European vein, therefore it's hardly surprising if the default fauna is quasi-European as well.

3) There's actually quite a bit more variety in terms of what is available in the rules for megafauna than you imply, at least in 3e with which I'm much more familiar than any other edition. I can do a reasonable job approximating the fauna--at least in terms of animals that would need stats--of most of the continents just with the SRD document alone.

4) Animals, lacking any magickal or supernatural abilities, generally, are easy to swap for one another if needed. For example, although there are stats in the SRD for both wolves and hyeanas, couldn't you use the stats for one as a good approximation for the other? Same for leapord and cougar, bison, aurochs and yak, deer and antelope, etc. The great diversity of life in the animal kingdom isn't really going to be meaningfully represented in game stats and still offer us any difference. I might well be justified in insisting that a South American scarlet macaw and a European raven are two very different animals, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they should have different stats from each other. They're both among the most intelligent of birds, they have a tradition as serving as companions/familiars (for witches for ravens, for pirates as macaws), they both have a limited ability to mimic human speech (at least in literature, if not always reality) and they're about the same size, they have similar claws, their beaks aren't necessarily the same, but really is that going to make any different on the bite attack?

When I went to go stat out my Pleistocene subglacial megafaunal components, I found that with existing animals and a handful of dire animals, I didn't have any gaps at all, and in fact, I was a bit spoiled for choice, because books like Frostburn gave me needlessly divergent stats for a few creatures.

Last edited:

Stoat

Adventurer
[MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION]:

If you're talking about mundane, real-world animals, I don't agree that D&D focuses excessively on European and North American species. As others have noted, there are tons of non-European animals in the SRD. A quick review glance shows Leopards, Lions, Tigers, Elephants, Crocodiles and Camels. 4E moved away from mundane animals in general, but the Compendium has entries for Tigers, Horrid Lions, Elephants, Crocodiles and Camels.

Are there specific creatures you have in mind? What's missing that you think would make the monster list less Eurocentric?

Aeolius

Adventurer
What's missing that you think would make the monster list less Eurocentric?
Cassowaries !! ;)
Southern_Cassowary_Flightless_Bird.jpg

Stormonu

Legend
The AD&D 1E monster books included a host of non-European, non-North-American animals (e.g. lions, tigers, hippopotamuses, elephants (both African and Indian), hyenas, cheetahs, gorillas, ostriches, emus, rhea) . Did these animals not make it into later editions?

If they did, the "Eurocentric" charge seems kind of silly to me.

I think the proper response is "native to NA or Europe, or in their zoos"

Celebrim

Legend
Lions, and Tigers, and Bears... oh my.

Only one of the three is extant in North America. If it's dangerous, it's made it into the D&D cannon. If it isn't, it probably hasn't.

I think Hobo has already handled the question well.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I think if anything animals in D&D is one of the areas that is least Eurocentric.

I think the bias that exists is towards animals that could either threaten a PCs, or help the PCs. This gives us lions, tigers, and bears or camels, elephants, and horses, but not capybara, wallabies, or deer.

Remove ads