D&D 5E Are components (V,S,M) and schools in spell writeups really necessary for spells anymore?

Stalker0

Legend
I don't mind the specific material components.... simply because the spell component pouch makes it super easy to handwave. (though I absolutely think sorcerors should be able to eschew components as a class feature, it silly outwise).

On V, S.... I personally would rather that all spells just said that they required these things....and then the few spells that don't should make a special note.

Power Word Kill: This spell requires no gestures at all to cast.

MarkB

Legend
Sure, but what's the benefit to having that vary between individual spells? If all spells require you to speak clearly and gesture freely, it tells us just as much about what's going on in the narrative, but it saves a bunch of bookkeeping.
It means that some spells can be used in a pinch when others would not work. The wizard manacled to the wall can't fireball his captors, but he can slip away with a verbal-only dimension door.

It means that some spells can be used in a pinch when others would not work. The wizard manacled to the wall can't fireball his captors, but he can slip away with a verbal-only dimension door.
Is that a good thing, though?

Part of the reason for spellcasting components is that it gives a way to shut down a spellcaster, so you can take one captive without killing them outright. Tying the wizard's hand is supposed to be like taking the fighter's sword away. If some spells don't have somatic components, though, then it means you have to gag every wizard you take captive, in addition to binding their hands and taking away their pouch. If every spell requires all three, then you can just take their pouch, and keep them in a cell with everyone else.

MarkB

Legend
Is that a good thing, though?

Part of the reason for spellcasting components is that it gives a way to shut down a spellcaster, so you can take one captive without killing them outright. Tying the wizard's hand is supposed to be like taking the fighter's sword away. If some spells don't have somatic components, though, then it means you have to gag every wizard you take captive, in addition to binding their hands and taking away their pouch. If every spell requires all three, then you can just take their pouch, and keep them in a cell with everyone else.
The well prepared rogue can hide a dagger or lockpick to escape. The fighter can use raw strength to fashion an improvised weapon from a bedframe. Shouldn't the well prepared wizard have the option to have the right spell in hand?

And while gagging the wizard is workable, another effective approach is to blindfold them. Most spells require a visible target, and even for something like dimension door which does not, it's a lot harder to pick a viable destination spot when you've no idea of your surroundings.

We snuck into a cabin that had been taken over by a bunch of hobgoblins. We did it while they were sleeping and hit the whole place with a Silence spell. The plan was to get in, get the McGuffin and get out.

STEALTH MISSIONS NEVER SUCCEED!

In any case, when combat started, half the goblins were asleep and unaware of the fighting. The down side was our wizard couldn't cast any spells. Until he realized control flames was somatic only and he was able to make the fire leap from the fireplace and start burning the place down.

It was a fun moment so I think V and S have their place. With the addition of foci, I feel that material components are just fluff. I like the expensive ones because they give your wizards reasons to adventure and things to work towards. My wizard HAS SO MANY PLANS! .... but is too poor to execute most of them. 1000gp in diamond dust can't be bought in any corner store.

Edit: I know you mentioned silence but I think it was worth posting anyways.

The well prepared rogue can hide a dagger or lockpick to escape. The fighter can use raw strength to fashion an improvised weapon from a bedframe. Shouldn't the well prepared wizard have the option to have the right spell in hand?

And while gagging the wizard is workable, another effective approach is to blindfold them. Most spells require a visible target, and even for something like dimension door which does not, it's a lot harder to pick a viable destination spot when you've no idea of your surroundings.
The greater the burden you place on the prison warden, the more likely they'll just kill the wizard instead of trying to imprison them. Gags and blindfolds require seriously heavy-duty hardware, or else solitary confinement away from anyone who might remove those things.

If every spell required a focus or pouch, though, then you could take that away and toss the wizard in with everyone else. It's much more conducive to interesting prison-break scenarios.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Spell components are such a minor part of the casting system and only take up a single line in a spellblock write-up that I don't see any particular need to remove them at this point in time. They are there for those few DMs who want them, and are easily completely ignored by the other 99% so what's the harm? Same thing with Encumbrance rules... a legacy system that barely anyone uses, but which it's nice to keep just for the few that do.

MarkB

Legend
The greater the burden you place on the prison warden, the more likely they'll just kill the wizard instead of trying to imprison them. Gags and blindfolds require seriously heavy-duty hardware, or else solitary confinement away from anyone who might remove those things.

If every spell required a focus or pouch, though, then you could take that away and toss the wizard in with everyone else. It's much more conducive to interesting prison-break scenarios.
Another option for shutting down most spellcasters is to strap them into armour they aren't proficient in. I actually considered that once for a mage prison. Called it Paper Plate - a suit that's strapped and padlocked onto a prisoner. Bulky in the joints to restrict movement like poorly fitted plate armour, but little more than cloth and cardboard everywhere else.

Ultimately, though, any scenario which completely shuts down a character's class features for an extended period is going to get old fast.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I actually considered that once for a mage prison. Called it Paper Plate - a suit that's strapped and padlocked onto a prisoner. Bulky in the joints to restrict movement like poorly fitted plate armour, but little more than cloth and cardboard everywhere else.

Ultimately, though, any scenario which completely shuts down a character's class features for an extended period is going to get old fast.
Bestow Curse is a great way to do this, also. "For the duration of the curse, the target creature has no spell slots and cannot cast spells."

But like you said, this will get old fast.

Prison-break scenarios aren't intended to last very long. That's another reason why it's better to have a simple goal (find spell pouch) than a complex one (break the wizard out of their full-body harness).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases