Are hunter's quarry and sneak attack equal?

magustenebrarum

First Post
Now I'll probably tell him that he can switch hunter's quarry for sneak attack as long as he lowers his unarmed attack damage to d6s (the conversion article says to use d8s). The d6s and +3 proficiency bonus will be on par with the short sword (light blade and all), but not as good as the longsword which is what the conversion article basically turned the unarmed attacks into . . . plus the article let you wield two of them. The d6s are looking more and more like a good idea.

~

Nah, you can still let him use d8s. It will be a huge disadvantage later to not be able to pick up a magic weapon.

Ander00

First Post
I'd still let him pick up magical gloves, knuckle dusters, tonfas or whatever else you'd want to have its enhancement bonus apply to 'unarmed' attacks. Having attack rolls up to 6 points lower than the game expects is not going to result in fun, and will break things more than a few points of damage will.

cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Is there any reason you didn't just go straight rogue? It seems that they are well-flavoured for monks (or ninja) straight off the bat as it where.

Cheers

Revinor

First Post
Actually, I think that ranger with sneak attack will be slightly weaker, as he has less combat-advantage inducing abilities compared to rogue.

Stalker0

Legend
Is there any reason you didn't just go straight rogue? It seems that they are well-flavoured for monks (or ninja) straight off the bat as it where.

Cheers

this is what I was wondering. Rogues get great skills, get cool utilities that let you jump high and stealth easily (good monk things). So why not just straight up rogue?

bardolph

First Post
Quick and Dirty Monk:

Make a Rogue, with the following changes:
  • Unarmed attacks give a +4 proficiency bonus, and do 1d4 damage. Unarmed attacks count as "light blade" for purposes of using Powers.
  • Skills: Religion. Pick four: Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Insight, History, Nature, Endurance, Stealth, Heal.
  • Change all flavor text to reflect monk.
  • +2 AC when wearing cloth or no armor.
  • Defense Bonus: +1 Will, +1 Reflex, +1 Fortitude.
  • Everywhere it says "Charisma," use "Wisdom" instead (this counts for all powers and the "Artful Dodger" ability).
  • Power Source: Divine

I'd love to somehow work in Quarterstaff, but 1d8 damage combined with Rogue abilities would be a tad unbalancing.

Last edited:

Kordeth

First Post
I'd love to somehow work in Quarterstaff, but 1d8 damage combined with Rogue abilities would be a tad unbalancing.

Make it cost a feat, then it's on par with the cost of a regular rogue learning a rapier.

Deadly Staff [Monkrogue]
Prerequisites: Rogue class using bardolph's monk variant, Con 12.
Benefit: You may treat a quarterstaff as a light blade for purposes of using rogue attack powers and class features.

bardolph

First Post
Make it cost a feat, then it's on par with the cost of a regular rogue learning a rapier.

Deadly Staff [Monkrogue]
Prerequisites: Rogue class using bardolph's monk variant, Con 12.
Benefit: You may treat a quarterstaff as a light blade for purposes of using rogue attack powers and class features.

I like it.

Remove ads