D&D 5E Are Kender considered Halflings for Racial Feats?

ECMO3

Hero
I am putting together my ideas for a Dragonlance character and I want to play a Kender with the Halfling 2nd chance feat. My DM is a stickler for RAW.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am putting together my ideas for a Dragonlance character and I want to play a Kender with the Halfling 2nd chance feat. My DM is a stickler for RAW.
First, there is no RAW yet. Not until Dragonlance comes out. The UA makes no mention of them being halflings, though. I personally would just consider them a halfling subrace, but your DM may not.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Have they counted as halflings in the past?
This is from the 1e Dragonlance Adventures.

"There are no halflings or half-orcs in Krynn. Halflings who enter this world are considered kender and gain the special abilities (and obnoxious personalities) of kender in this world."

And...

"Special Abilities: Kendets have infravision that works out to 30 feet. They also have several unique abilities, as well as all standard halfling abilities."

Halflings literally become kender and kender have all halfling abilities, so I guess they'd be racially interchangeable.

Remathilis

Legend
If it means anything, 2e considered them a distant cousin and put them in the Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings, thus allowing them to use all the options for halflings in the book. The D&D Next playtest at one point also had a kender subrace for halflings, but it was never printed officially and now subraces are out of vogue anyway.

Remove ads