Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I'd say PF1 is still going pretty strong. My PF1-primary Patreon continues to do well 4 years in with no sign of slowing. I do PF2 and 5e stuff there as well sometimes, but PF1 is still the prominent and most supported version of the game by my backers.

Dwarf 007

Villager
Are folks still playing Pathfinder 1e? Because I just came into a LOT of Pathfinder 1e stuff last night (rulebooks, pawn collections, flip mats, APs, etc). Is there a good online community for PF1e players other than this forum?
First off, Congratulations on your good fortune!!!

If you now have a lot of resources on hand, try to make that game happen. Good luck!!!

So for whatever this metric is worth, several times I’ve compared the number of users online at the two main Pathfinder subreddits (r/Pathfinder and r/Pathfinder2e). Usually the PF2e sub has about 60-80% more users online than the other Pathfinder sub, where PF1e content is still common.

Right now, r/Pathfinder has 330 users online, while r/Pathfinder2e has 551 users online. For comparison, the main 5E subreddit, r/dndnext, currently has 2.1k users online. (It’s also nighttime on a weekday in North America, so those numbers are all lower than during the day.)

My logic is that Reddit catches a very broad range of internet users, and since Redditors choose which subs they follow, it represents a fairly reliable cross-section of the total community in each hobby. By looking at the number of subscribers currently online, I believe I’m seeing the number of people currently viewing that content.

(Contrast with the total number of subscribers, for which PF1e sub dominates—125k subscribers vs PF2e’s 50k. However, the PF1e sub has been around for many more years, and I have no way to know how many of their subscribers are still active accounts. So I don’t think total subscribers is a valid metric.)

A couple caveats: 1) r/Pathfinder does include some PF2e content, whereas the reverse isn’t usually true. This skews the numbers a bit further in favour of PF2e. 2) I’m not sure if a subscriber to both subreddits is counted as online in both, or perhaps only in the sun they’re looking at. Not sure of the implications here.

Conclusion: PF1e still has a sizeable following, but significantly smaller than PF2e, and both are still dwarfed by 5E.

nevin

Hero
I think the edition war with PF1 vs pf 2e drove a lot of players completely away from the forums, official and subreddit. I don't ever remember an edition war for any game ever being as militant and ugly as pathfinder 2e vs pathfinder 1e. I suspect the numbers are bigger than what you find there but I don't have any data to back that up.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think the edition war with PF1 vs pf 2e drove a lot of players completely away from the forums, official and subreddit. I don't ever remember an edition war for any game ever being as militant and ugly as pathfinder 2e vs pathfinder 1e. I suspect the numbers are bigger than what you find there but I don't have any data to back that up.
Please, it was a picnic frolic compared to 3E-4E.

darjr

I crit!
As bad as the 4e one was that, in part, helped birth PF, I sadly have to agree. I think it did a lot of harm.

Remove ads