D&D 4E Are powers samey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't get it because there is nothing to get.

No one is questioning that you find the differences between powers in 4e to small and thus feel samey to you. That's your feeling and you're more than entitled to it.

What's being questioned is what's your point? If you set the bar that low, why do you not set the bar that low for all D&D games? And, if pointing out differences doesn't actually matter, then well, you've basically created an unassailable position for yourself. That's rather convenient. Not only do you get to declare yourself right, but, you get to ignore any counter points.

How can you possibly claim that this is arguing in good faith if you refuse to accept any counter arguments?

Counter arguments that aren't addressing the point will not and should not be accepted.

The bar I set for samey isn't a low bar. It's a fairly high bar. 4e powers in the general sense meet that bar for me. 5e abilities in general do not meet that bar.

Now if you want to talk about elements in 5e I find samey. Attack cantrips in 5e feel samey to me in much the same way 4e powers do.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
But a table which wanted fight to be ubiquitous could very trivially lower the check result needed without breaking anything else in the game.
There is a level 4 ritual that lets you enlarge and mount your familiar. Flying familiar == flying mount as early as level 4... 25 gp for 12 hours

Get your witch a broom shaped familiar.

Or the tiny wings... and have them grow to proper wings.

Teemu

Hero
There is a level 4 ritual that lets you enlarge and mount your familiar. Flying familiar == flying mount as early as level 4... 25 gp for 12 hours

Get your witch a broom shaped familiar.

Or the tiny wings... and have them grow to proper wings.
You could in fact ride around on an enlarged disembodied hand, a skull, a clockwork scorpion, or even a sword or a hammer.

Teemu

Hero
Can you create a 5e rogue who can cure diseases, grant long-distance flight, and ride around on a giant floating sword, and who’s a vampire and a werewolf too? In 4e you can.

Hussar

Legend
Counter arguments that aren't addressing the point will not and should not be accepted.

The bar I set for samey isn't a low bar. It's a fairly high bar. 4e powers in the general sense meet that bar for me. 5e abilities in general do not meet that bar.

Now if you want to talk about elements in 5e I find samey. Attack cantrips in 5e feel samey to me in much the same way 4e powers do.

But attacks (melee and/or ranged) don't?

pemerton

Legend
No, given historical evidence, it is not odd at all.
There does seem to be a bit of a tendency towards when we ignored the non-combat resources and non-combat resolution systems we didn't have enough non-combat in our games.

But I still find it puzzling!

Can you create a 5e rogue who can cure diseases, grant long-distance flight, and ride around on a giant floating sword, and who’s a vampire and a werewolf too? In 4e you can.
But you'll be forced to pick Blinding Barrage and be a supernatural shuriken-throwing ninja!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads