• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Psionic's now Core Rules?

Are Psionic's (XPH) Core Rules now?

• Yes, as they should be!

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Yes, though I regret that.

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • No, though I wish they were.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • No, and never should they.

Votes: 89 38.2%
  • Maybe; who cares? don't know! cannot decide. whatever...

Votes: 31 13.3%

• Poll closed .

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I voted on the side of "not core, although I wish it was."

I'm pretty happy with the inclusion of non core material in the latest books, and I think WoTC has struck the right balance of material.

Aristotle

First Post
I don't quite know that any of the voting choices apply to me... Psionics are certainly not core, whether you like them or not. They are part of a cap system. Their are several of these additional systems for the game I suppose, although its pretty clear that of the cap systems Psionics are the most heavily supported.

The update to 3.5 did blur the lines a bit. A basic version of Epic Levels, which were another cap system in my opinion, was included as an option in the DMG making the concept part of the core. I personally like Epic material... but I wish they would have left cap systems out of core materials where they could function as originally intended.

all of this is IMHO of course.

Psiblade

First Post
Originally Posted by Sejs
As well you should - up north here we're all psionic, eh?

Yes, and we are spreading psionics around the world. ;)

I have always liked psionics better than the fire and forget method. A little psionic support definitely increases the value of the book in question. Psionics, however are definitely not core yet. Most of the new books only contain a few pages of psionic material.

-Psiblade

Testament

First Post
I love the new Psionics system, although there are some balance issues (Telepaths anyone? Mind Thrust? Sonic Energy Missiles targeting weapons?). It has flavour and is different enough to magic to be interesting, while similar enough to avoid headaches.

Personally I'd love to see them core, I already refer to the XPH as Core Rulebook IV. However, I doubt that they'll ever go core, owing to the sharp division amongst the fans about them. They were handled badly, AFAIK, in previous systems, and people haven't forgotten.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Optional, and the book does't say 'core rulebook'.

Another psionic hatter, and my hat is not only tinfoil, but it's shaped like a pyramid.

The Auld Grump

Sage

Explorer
I belive it is up to the DM to decide wheather or not to use psionics... However, psionic are part of the 3.5 SRD along with epic and deity rules, which makes them as core as they'll ever be.

So, technically, Zweischneid, you only need three books: FRCS, BoVD and BoED. The rest are totally free and available on-line.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'd say no and it never should be.

I love the fact that it's getting some support and that there are some 3rd party d20 products for it though. The latest version is fantastic and I find myself refereince it often to make NPCs that challenge the PC's in new and interesting ways.

jester47

First Post
As stated above, with the SA: Psionics in the rules and with the sorcerer class, there is not really a need for a psionics system unless you want to play by the rules that psionics are different.

As a concept I think psionics are cool. As a separate game mechanic I find them to be a waste of time.

With this outlook the sorcerer operates mechanicly like a psionicist. Monsters get special abilities. Mind flayers can take levels in sorcerer. No need for a separate psionics system. Thus never core.

Aaron.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads