• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are ranged attacks too good in 5e?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Nods I can see that... I realized I defaulted back to 4e speed in squares LOL
Whenever a character with extra attack has no conscious adjacent enemies and they have attacks left they can move 10 feet towards an enemy in addition to any other movement made. So if you move kill, ... move kill .... move kill you have effectively made 30 feet of free movement. Just clarifying what I was thinking @Stalker0
Less fiddly than I initially said.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think that's getting a bit fiddly
I thought I saw an ability which might have been associated with a barbarian/berserker that let you move an extra distance if you defeated the enemy but I am not sure where I recall it from perhaps Level Up
only if they defeat the first in one blow is the concept... hmmm guess they can already move to the next if they have move left. Perhaps defeating an enemy adds 10 to their remaining move if they have attacks left.
Perhaps just make it once per turn if you defeated an adjacent enemy you may move your speed towards another enemy

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Momentum Attack: if you reduce an enemy's hit points to 0 with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to move 10 feet. This movement must move you closer to another enemy, but does not provoke opportunity attacks.

James Gasik

Supporter
That could be a Level Up maneuver...
Yeah, Level Up can make it work easily, as for standard 5e, it's too weak to be a Feat (see Great Weapon Master, which has a "drop to 0" bonus attack as a bullet point), so I'm not sure how you could implement it in 5e's current design. WotC would probably make it a subclass option.

I'd say replace some insignificant ability like Indomitable, but that comes online too late. I guess it could be a Fighting Style?

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, Level Up can make it work easily, as for standard 5e, it's too weak to be a Feat (see Great Weapon Master, which has a "drop to 0" bonus attack as a bullet point), so I'm not sure how you could implement it in 5e's current design. WotC would probably make it a subclass option.

I'd say replace some insignificant ability like Indomitable, but that comes online too late. I guess it could be a Fighting Style?
Could be a battle master maneuver.

James Gasik

Supporter
Could be a battle master maneuver.
Yes, but it would be pretty niche, and have to involve the Superiority Die in some fashion. Oddly, it's more like the sort of thing that the Hunter Ranger could pick up (though I still don't get why Rangers can whirlwind attack and not Fighters).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
cYes, but it would be pretty niche, and
what if we make it part of cleave instead of a separate ability in LU... hmmm scratch that... it kind of makes sense if you have it you can do cleave with a moderate sized weapon (because your body is behind the move) it might make a fighting style?

Last edited:

James Gasik

Supporter
what if we make it part of cleave instead of a separate ability in LU... hmmm kind of makes sense if you have it you can do cleave with a moderate sized weapon (because your body is behind the move) -- fighting style?
I think a Fighting Style would be the best place to put it. Several classes get access to these. Sadly not the Barbarian, but Barbarians have good mobility and ways to mitigate damage already, I suppose.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads