• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

I think we’ve reached the point where more and more of the audience has realized that CGI is at the point where anything and everything is possible to appear on the screen so what they are seeing is meaningless. Audiences are going to be looking for more meaningfol experience.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not so much that superhero films are dying, but rather that the quality of superhero films is dead. If they put out a good one, I think it would do well. After so many bad ones, though, folks need to know that it's good before they will shell out money by the multiple millions.

Even if good there's to many of them.

Think there's 12 this year iirc.

Pre MCU you had a big one every year or two and something like Blade wasn't that big comparatively.

Only 2 made much money relative to budgets and GotG in effect was the last of the previous phase.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Even if good there's to many of them.

Think there's 12 this year iirc.

Pre MCU you had a big one every year or two and sonething like Blade wasn't that bug comparatively.
No wonder they are so bad. If they're pushing out that many that quickly, quality is going to suffer.

Clint_L

Hero
I would more or less agree with that ranking, with the caveat that only are two actually good (Spiderverse, TMNT), Blue Beetle is okay, and the rest are various shades of bad. Ant Man is definitely the bottom of a not very impressive heap, and I write that as more of a fan of the first two films than most.

And the two animated films are the only ones that show any real creativity.

Kaodi

Hero
In light of current events that can only be mentioned obliquely I wonder whether Captain America: Brave New World will get changed again, either in content or release, due to the inclusion of Sabra.

I would hope that the plan for the first Sam Wilson Captain America film was for it to be of the highest quality of all of the current phase films.

In light of current events that can only be mentioned obliquely I wonder whether Captain America: Brave New World will get changed again, either in content or release, due to the inclusion of Sabra.
Yeah that seems like something that could backfire truly spectacularly, especially as MCU movies trend towards a younger audience and a worldwide one, neither of whom is particularly likely to approve of anything like comics Sabra, who has been a controversial character to put it mildly. Disney said they were "taking a new approach" to Sabra when this was discussed in less turbulent times some months back, but damn, depending on how vital she is to the plot this might be anywhere from "Delete entire movie from existence" to "extensive reshoots and character mysteriously has a very small role". Also if leaks are correct the "new approach" is just "making her a mutant", which ain't gonna cut it.

Kaodi

Hero
Yeah that seems like something that could backfire truly spectacularly, especially as MCU movies trend towards a younger audience and a worldwide one, neither of whom is particularly likely to approve of anything like comics Sabra, who has been a controversial character to put it mildly. Disney said they were "taking a new approach" to Sabra when this was discussed in less turbulent times some months back, but damn, depending on how vital she is to the plot this might be anywhere from "Delete entire movie from existence" to "extensive reshoots and character mysteriously has a very small role". Also if leaks are correct the "new approach" is just "making her a mutant", which ain't gonna cut it.

I do not think we can go further on speculating how or in favour of whose narrative that the movie would change. Just that it certainly has the potential of being a nuclear-grade wrench thrown into Marvel's plan.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think the issue is pretty simple. IMO.

It's another replay of the old, "Goose that laid the golden eggs." To put it simply- Disney used to understand that proper brand management also meant scarcity. Too much of a good thing can ruin it. And that's what we've gotten.

During the Infinity Wars saga, you would get two movies a year. You would only get three movies if there was an additional Spiderman movie (done with Sony). That's it. Each movie was a big event.

But now?
2021- Four movies.
2022- Three movies.
2023- Three movies.
2024- Three movies.

In addition the upping the amount of content in terms of movies, they have also, at the same time, ensured that there is a firehose of content on Disney+.

2021- Five shows (counting What If?).
2022- Three shows.
2023- Two shows.

In addition, they've tied the shows into the MCU. So if you're "into" Marvel, it starts to feel like homework. And if you don't watch the shows, then you feel like you're missing things. Also? If you are "into" Marvel, you know that the movies will be on streaming soon, lessening your desire to see the movie in the theater.

It's just a firehose of content. And the quality has suffered because of the need to make so many shows and movies at the same time. -The VFX has suffered. The shows exist in some kind of bizarre space- not really TV shows (most don't have a second season), and not really movies either. The stories have suffered- you have "old" characters in completely inessential shows (Secret Invasion), and new characters in great shows that just end (Ms. Marvel) and make you wonder why you took the time to invest in such a great show to begin with ... because it's not a show.

Moreover, the MCU has lost the "event" feeling. I genuinely like two of the three characters in the Marvels. But the movie is barely a blip on my radar, because it's just another marker in the firehose of content. I'll probably watch it at some point on streaming, but I don't feel the need to see it in the theater.

TLDR; the MCU has suffered because they made too much, too quickly, and now it no longer feels as special as it once did.

Remove ads