Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

Just something to mention. Taken on it's own, GotG could be classed as a comic book based space opera, like Flash Gordon, Barbarella, and Valerian and the Excessively Long Subtitle, rather than a superhero movie.

This particular sub-genre is more popular in France. I blame Jules Verne.

Honestly it feels like Marvel meets Star Trek, they could do a really cool Star Trek like Guardians of the Galaxy kind of show (although Star Trek: Prodigy feels like that sort of, but younger)).

Clint_L

Hero
It seems like they've gone back and altered that line in the trailers, so Manta is no longer threatening to turn the underwater kingdom to ash.

Which is a shame. The first Aquaman was the definition of stupid fun (my favourite line: when he complains about his tight pants giving him swamp-butt...underwater). It was a series of explosions that occasionally paused for exposition. And it had a drums-playing octopus.

The only way I was ever going to watch the sequel would be if it leaned heavily on that octopus. I want to know more about his life. Like, if the sequel was basically High Fidelity but set in Atlantis and starring that octopus, with Aquaman as a side character, I would so be there for it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
True, light (of the right wavelength) goes through water. But we're not talking about just water, we're talking about the ocean. It's a completely non-homogeneous mixture of dissolved organic matter, debris from anything from salt to stone to plastic, and all sorts of living stuff. Net absorption of anything in the visible spectrum is going be well over 50% before 100m, which means more of your energy is going to be lost to the ocean than your target. Hence, you heat the water before you do any real damage at range. As for coherence, well, the coherence of your beam is affected quite a bit if there's no coherence in your media.

Which is why I mentioned the range would be questionable. But then, air isn't a perfectly clear medium either in many cases; there's lots of dust, pollen, water particles and more. The problems with laser weapons in the two media are not fundamentally different, water just causes the problems to kick in sooner.

Ryujin

Legend
It seems like they've gone back and altered that line in the trailers, so Manta is no longer threatening to turn the underwater kingdom to ash.

Which is a shame. The first Aquaman was the definition of stupid fun (my favourite line: when he complains about his tight pants giving him swamp-butt...underwater). It was a series of explosions that occasionally paused for exposition. And it had a drums-playing octopus.

The only way I was ever going to watch the sequel would be if it leaned heavily on that octopus. I want to know more about his life. Like, if the sequel was basically High Fidelity but set in Atlantis and starring that octopus, with Aquaman as a side character, I would so be there for it.
So, the DC Comics based version of "Space Janitors"?

Remove ads