Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

nevin

Hero
Aquaman 2 is their own fault. Why release a movie belonging to a cinematic universe that has already been cancelled?

I liked the first one and would have gone to see the second, but not knowing that it's a dead end.

With the universe cancelled/rebooted/whatever I can wait until I'll eventually catch it on streaming or even good old regular TV.
Plus one that canceled it's hugely popular female lead over her divorce and messy court fight. Actors and actresses are currency. When you start playing around with canceling them because you are scared of the public canceling your movie , it generally ends with the public canceling your movie. Add that to the DC universe reboot and this one was doomed before they ever advertised it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Plus one that canceled it's hugely popular female lead over her divorce and messy court fight. Actors and actresses are currency. When you start playing around with canceling them because you are scared of the public canceling your movie , it generally ends with the public canceling your movie. Add that to the DC universe reboot and this one was doomed before they ever advertised it.
Not sure how you are connecting some of these dots...

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
For me, the novelty has worn off. Its habituation at this point.

They can do better maybe with human stories or humor or something other than flashy superhero fights.

I can still watch and rewatch heath ledger and Tom hardy vs Batman. They are compelling characters. It’s got some human stakes.

Similarly, I might get a laugh watching guardians of the galaxy.

But if I never see another giant cgi fight with shallow characters or an ensemble of heroes at once, it would be ok.

I barely get a physiological response to that anymore. I doubt I am alone.

nevin

Hero
Basically, from the perspective of the studio that made it, they have two options:

1) Release it in theatres and make as much money as they can from it, and all the people involved in the movie will thank them, even if it does poorly, because at least theoretically they can make residuals, use it in their CVs usefully, get exposure from it and so on.

2) Can it entirely and don't release it on TV either, and use it as a tax write-off. The trouble is, as I understand it, the more the movie cost, the less effective it is to write it off entirely, and also, you ensure absolutely everyone involved with the movie will naughty word hate the people who made that decision and be harder to work with in future.

It's possible they could have also tried just releasing it straight to paid streaming or something, but that is going to make them even less money than releasing to theatres.

So they went with the overall least-destructive option, which is to release it to cinemas. I think it's suffering more from incredibly terrible reviews than it being part of a "cancelled cinematic universe" - I don't think most movie-goers care about the latter. I do think they care about a 35% RT rating though.

Not sure how you are connecting some of these dots...
every one of those things turned off a group of fans.

nevin

Hero
For me, the novelty has worn off. Its habituation at this point.

They can do better maybe with human stories or humor or something other than flashy superhero fights.

I can still watch and rewatch heath ledger and Tom hardy vs Batman. They are compelling characters. It’s got some human stakes.

Similarly, I might get a laugh watching guardians of the galaxy.

But if I never see another giant cgi fight with shallow characters or an ensemble of heroes at once, it would be ok.

I barely get a physiological response to that anymore. I doubt I am alone.
or 20 minute chase scene's that make you feel like an hour has passed and add nothing to the plot?

Personally, I never really got over the fact that the trailer I first saw for Aquaman 2 started with this narration:

"I'm gonna kill Aquaman, murder his family, and burn his kingdom to ash."

Really? You're going to burn Atlantis? You're going to turn the ocean to ash? That's the opening line to your trailer? If I ever needed proof that some of these superhero movies are 100% flash and 0% substance, this is the perfect example. The rest of the trailer did nothing change this affirmation. No care whatsoever for logic. But it sounds cool. Sure, run with it. Gah.

nevin

Hero
Personally, I never really got over the fact that the trailer I first saw for Aquaman 2 started with this narration:

Really? You're going to burn Atlantis? You're going to turn the ocean to ash? That's the opening line to your trailer? If I ever needed proof that some of these superhero movies are 100% flash and 0% substance, this is the perfect example. The rest of the trailer did nothing change this affirmation. No care whatsoever for logic. But it sounds cool. Sure, run with it. Gah.
wow I hadn't seen that one. Did AI write that script? (just kidding.). to be fair after watching all of them for a long time I'm at least 5 or 6 movies behind at this point. I'm sure Ill rent them at some point but Just haven't been motivated to watch any of the superhero movies for awhile.

payn

Its already a movie about a kingdom under the sea, so fantasy land is already accepted. 🤷‍♂️

payn

still you have to admit bury his kingdom under the sea would have made it look more like the writers, could you know, think....
I'll admit im not familiar with the subject matter, but the villain seems capable of shooting laser underwater so its not a stretch to think he could blow a city up under water. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads