Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

nevin

Hero
I'll admit im not familiar with the subject matter, but the villain seems capable of shooting laser underwater so its not a stretch to think he could blow a city up under water. 🤷‍♂️
but can he burn the city underwater? Scientifically the answer is an unqualified yes, but still not a good image to try and sell to an audience that I'm going to Burn the underwater city......Gotta go 100% in with Deset on this one.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'll admit im not familiar with the subject matter, but the villain seems capable of shooting laser underwater so its not a stretch to think he could blow a city up under water. 🤷‍♂️

I do have to point out that lasers underwater are not impossible, though you'd probably get better results out of blue-green spectrum ones if you're going to fire ones in the visible light range. After all light works under water....

(Now, the effective range would probably be much less, but that's probably a rabbit-hole too far for anyone to care about).

I do have to point out that lasers underwater are not impossible, though you'd probably get better results out of blue-green spectrum ones if you're going to fire ones in the visible light range. After all light works under water....

(Now, the effective range would probably be much less, but that's probably a rabbit-hole too far for anyone to care about).

I'm reasonably certain a laser would boil the water in the ocean long before anything caught on fire. And, of course, you're likely to boil the water immediately in front if the laser, instead the thing off in the distance.

Bad writing is bad. There's no "um, actually" that's going to stop the fact that the speech makes Black Manta sound like a doofus who understands as much about fire as Ariel.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm reasonably certain a laser would boil the water in the ocean long before anything caught on fire. And, of course, you're likely to boil the water immediately in front if the laser, instead the thing off in the distance.

The former is true. The latter not so much. That's one of the benefits of coherent light; it doesn't actually get a lot of spread and waste its energy. And again, light goes through water too.

Bad writing is bad. There's no "um, actually" that's going to stop the fact that the speech makes Black Manta sound like a doofus who understands as much about fire as Ariel.

I wasn't defending the speech, just noting that lasers, including potentially laser weapons, actually can operate under water.

The former is true. The latter not so much. That's one of the benefits of coherent light; it doesn't actually get a lot of spread and waste its energy. And again, light goes through water too.

True, light (of the right wavelength) goes through water. But we're not talking about just water, we're talking about the ocean. It's a completely non-homogeneous mixture of dissolved organic matter, debris from anything from salt to stone to plastic, and all sorts of living stuff. Net absorption of anything in the visible spectrum is going be well over 50% before 100m, which means more of your energy is going to be lost to the ocean than your target. Hence, you heat the water before you do any real damage at range. As for coherence, well, the coherence of your beam is affected quite a bit if there's no coherence in your media.

Personally, I never really got over the fact that the trailer I first saw for Aquaman 2 started with this narration:

"I'm gonna kill Aquaman, murder his family, and burn his kingdom to ash."

Really? You're going to burn Atlantis? You're going to turn the ocean to ash? That's the opening line to your trailer? If I ever needed proof that some of these superhero movies are 100% flash and 0% substance, this is the perfect example. The rest of the trailer did nothing change this affirmation. No care whatsoever for logic. But it sounds cool. Sure, run with it. Gah.
this is really nit picky.....right up with "I'm going to take everything from you"

So the bad guy is going to take his clothes, pocket lint etc?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
this is really nit picky.....right up with "I'm going to take everything from you"

So the bad guy is going to take his clothes, pocket lint etc?
I know, right? Lets ignore the film is about a guy who can bench press a semi, breath underwater, and talk to fish. The real problem is the villain talking biblical about what he will do to his enemies. Even though what he says is more possible than said fishman existing in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads