D&D General Are the Races of D&D races of Human or seperate Species according to lore?

Wait, how did I miss that!? Dwarves don’t feel love!?

<cackles sarcastically>

Wow. Mordy’s Fome of Toes is even more egregiously bad than I realized! Amazing!
Exact text:

The Greatest Legacy
The life of a dwarf is all about doing good work and leaving behind a fitting legacy that continues to bolster the clan even after its creator has passed on — a legacy counted not only in objects, but also in dwarven souls. Dwarves who become parents rightfully think of their children as the greatest legacy they can leave the clan, and they raise them with the same care and attention to detail that they give to the items they create. A dwarf’s direct descendants — beloved sons, daughters, and grandchildren — are often the ones who inherit the inanimate works their ancestor leaves behind.

Marriage is a sacred rite among the dwarves, taken very seriously because it requires two children to move away from their homes to start a new family in the clan. The affected families feel a sense of loss that is healed only when a new dwarf child enters the world — an event that calls for great celebration.

Few dwarves develop romantic feelings for their spouses, at least not in the way that other races do. They view their spouses as collaborators and co-creators, their elders as respected experts to be obeyed, and their children as their most treasured creations. The emotion that underlies all those feelings might not be love, as others would term it, but it is just as intense.

Later on, the book emphasizes the role of priests of Berronar Truesilver as the matchmakers within Dwarven clans, arranging marriages to ensure the growth of the clan in quantity and quality. Dwarves exiled from their hold for defying arranged marriages make up a significant portion of Dwarven adventurers.

I say this without malice, but Dwarves in 5e can be summed up with this:

my own (vague, unofficial, based on 1E) idea was that elves, orcs, and humans are fairly closely related, while dwarves and gnomes are closely related to each other, but not the others. Halflings seem to be closely related to humans (in 1E, they are the only other race that can have 0-level NPCs). Never really put a lot of thought into it...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Exact text:

The Greatest Legacy
The life of a dwarf is all about doing good work and leaving behind a fitting legacy that continues to bolster the clan even after its creator has passed on — a legacy counted not only in objects, but also in dwarven souls. Dwarves who become parents rightfully think of their children as the greatest legacy they can leave the clan, and they raise them with the same care and attention to detail that they give to the items they create. A dwarf’s direct descendants — beloved sons, daughters, and grandchildren — are often the ones who inherit the inanimate works their ancestor leaves behind.

Marriage is a sacred rite among the dwarves, taken very seriously because it requires two children to move away from their homes to start a new family in the clan. The affected families feel a sense of loss that is healed only when a new dwarf child enters the world — an event that calls for great celebration.

Few dwarves develop romantic feelings for their spouses, at least not in the way that other races do. They view their spouses as collaborators and co-creators, their elders as respected experts to be obeyed, and their children as their most treasured creations. The emotion that underlies all those feelings might not be love, as others would term it, but it is just as intense.

Later on, the book emphasizes the role of priests of Berronar Truesilver as the matchmakers within Dwarven clans, arranging marriages to ensure the growth of the clan in quantity and quality. Dwarves exiled from their hold for defying arranged marriages make up a significant portion of Dwarven adventurers.

I say this without malice, but Dwarves in 5e can be summed up with this:
It’s like someone set out to write the worst dnd lore book of the 21st century. It’s completely wild!

I do kinda dig little bits of that, like if they’d tried harder to avoid reinventing the races it might have been really good.

It’s like someone set out to write the worst dnd lore book of the 21st century. It’s completely wild!

I do kinda dig little bits of that, like if they’d tried harder to avoid reinventing the races it might have been really good.
... forgive me, but I'm not sure what's so bad about this aspect of Dwarvish psychology and culture specifically. It makes sense thematically with how concerned Dwarves are with their pursuit of perfection and their material and artistic legacies, and also how grouchy they are on the whole. Was it different in earlier editions?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

... forgive me, but I'm not sure what's so bad about this aspect of Dwarvish psychology and culture specifically. It makes sense thematically with how concerned Dwarves are with their pursuit of perfection and their material and artistic legacies, and also how grouchy they are on the whole. Was it different in earlier editions?
Don’t really care too much about earlier editions. Tradition and canon are an abyss.

In nearly all fantasy media, and in most games, dwarves have the full range of emotion that humans do, and they aren’t completely psychologically defined by work.
It’s a concept that could be fun as a variant, and that’s about the most positive thing I can say about it.

Shhh, it's different That's all it takes to be bad. Anything different is bad.

LOL sure, the guy who has frequently been screeched at on these forums for not giving a damn about tradition or canon is definitely the guy who hates anything new. 😂

doctorbadwolf

To get more in depth with it, what I don’t like is that it pushes much too close to a place where dwarves aren’t really people, but are so strongly defined in every aspect of their psychology by work and craft that they are just sophisticated self-replicating automated tools crafted by a god who only cares about them insofar as they serve that purpose.

In a specific setting that wants to bring a twist on the race to do something different and explore an aspect of “what is personhood”, from an angle that doesn’t use androids or something like that, this could be cool.

As what is supposed to be the standard take on a race whose narrative purpose isn’t specifically to explore personhood in the face of rigidly defined emotional and social capacities and psychological drives, it’s a very weird take that doesn’t seem to care about its own implications.

Combine that with the history of the Duergar, who are right to despise Moradin and his servants if you go by MToF, and you’ve just got a bad take on dwarves.

Personally I don't think D&D needs either rape monsters or a race that is nearly entirely the product of rape. It's a game people are supposed to enjoy, and it doesn't need references to traumatic events that some players may have personally experienced.
Well i suppose we'll have to agree to disagree (although i never said dnd needed anything. You are the one imposing your will and preference when you say dnd doesnt "need" x). I also disagree that dnd or its players needs any sort of sheltering from darker story ideas. Like an entire race brought into being by rape (which is a common mythical theme across cultures btw not just a modern thing). Besides. A story is much more interesting when you dont remove the parts that make a sheltered few squeamish. Your personal squeamishness shouldnt be the measuring standard for whats good. Nor should my opinion that its in good taste in this particular story be justification for players or dms being forced to use it. It should be a choice. But i view it to be totally in good taste. Just like any dark story detail has the potential to be in the right artists story.

Gods I hate that book. It’s full of such incredible garbage. Genuinely some of the worst lore in the last two editions of the game. Rivaled only by the worst books from 3/.5e.

As much as I view the FR Sundering as equivalent to a tv show having a garbage season 8 premiere sweeping retcon that makes the last several seasons effectively not mean anything, I’d take a thousand pages more of that mediocre work over 80% of MToF.

“Lol Corellon is an ignoble jackass deadbeat father and Moradin is an obstinate victim-blaming bastard but also you should still view Drow and Duergar as the bad guys lawls”

Okay, Mordy, sure thing. Gonna take that whole book as the ignorant ramblings of a self obsessed scholar with no actual clue what the multiverse looks like.

I don't think Mordenkainen is actually that clueless. We know who the culprits are in the real world, but in the game, I think Shemeska the Marauder has some kind of grudge against Mordenkainen and is trying to get everybody ticked off at him by altering his work to include offensive and false slander against various races and deities.

doctorbadwolf

I don't think Mordenkainen is actually that clueless. We know who the culprits are in the real world, but in the game, I think Shemeska the Marauder has some kind of grudge against Mordenkainen and is trying to get everybody ticked off at him by altering his work to include offensive and false slander against various races and deities.
Lol like, he’s actually pretty cool and knowledgeable, and she’s sabotaging his reputation?

I might have to use that in a multi-planar campaign. Or subvert the expectation further, and she is actually right, and he is gaslighting everyone.

Either way there is a rad seed there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases