Are there any planar traits that restrict Teleport?

Ry

Explorer
I was wondering if there were any planar traits that would restrict teleporting for distances greater than a mile but otherwise leave low-level magic (1st-5th level spells) as it is.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
It's nothing planar, but in the Realms, there's some sort of "Underdark Radiation" called Faerzress which makes long-distance teleporting quite tricky. If it goes beyond a certain distance (I think it's a mile), you have to make a spellcraft check or the teleport's a mishap (even a greater teleport)

You can easily turn that into a planar trait.

werk

First Post
I'd think the trait 'divinely morphic' would cover it. It means deities can control or shape the plane's traits, which includes how magic works.

Edheldur

First Post
rycanada said:
I was wondering if there were any planar traits that would restrict teleporting for distances greater than a mile but otherwise leave low-level magic (1st-5th level spells) as it is.
Yep, the "Limited Magic" trait. IE: Any [Teleport] spell 6th level or higher doesn't work.

SRD said:
Limited Magic

Planes with this trait permit only the use of spells and spell-like abilities that meet particular qualifications.

Magic can be limited to effects from certain schools or subschools, to effects with certain descriptors, or to effects of a certain level (or any combination of these qualities). Spells and spell-like abilities that don’t meet the qualifications simply don’t work.

Bad Paper

First Post
Yes, the limited magic planar trait works. Also, two other things come to mind:
  • The Outlands, or Concordant Opposition, or whatever the heck they call it these days, limits high-level magic the closer you get to the center of the plane. The party in my campaign plane shifted there and wound up a few hundred miles off from their destination, and couldn't teleport out. Walking sucks.
  • Divine Will. e.g. Lolth has barred all teleportation in the Demonweb, with a few specific exceptions.

Ry

Explorer
Great - I'll just use "Limited Magic: No spell which would cause the caster to travel more than 1 mile functions on this plane. Also, no spell of 6th level or higher can be cast by a creature without a Divine Rank of 0 or higher."

Remove ads